Why can't Google Calendar fix its problem with invitations?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
If I receive an invitation to a meeting (.ics or other formats), Google Calendar can automatically add that invitation to my calendar. But it will not let me edit that appointment. So, for example, if I receive an update (which never changes the calendar entry on any app I have tried), I cannot edit the appointment. Using an ICS importer still does not make the appointment editable, at least not in Google Calendar 5.0. One workaround is to change the calendar in the Web version of google calendar on a PC or the phone's browser.

But at least two apps, aCalendar and Business Calendar, allow editing of any appointment even if it was placed on the calendar by invitation. Why can't Google Calendar do this?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, that gives the problem a name, but it's a very unsatisfying answer. It's the main reason I don't use the Google Calendar or the Samsung native calendar, which are otherwise nice apps. An interesting aside is that the iPhone native calendar has the same limitation - one iPhone user I often send invitations to rejects/deletes then recreates them as a new event. Another inconvenient workaround.