Samsung Galaxy S4 battery issue

Anthony Casotti

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey ya'll,

I got a galaxy S4 for Christmas a about a year ago and I loved the long battery life it had. Recently, my battery hasbt lasted anywhere near to what it used to. Before it started to not last very long, my stock charger broke so I used my moms old kindle charger. It charged my phone really fast and i think thats the reason why it doesnt last very long. And its nit the battery itself, its the phone. Any ideas as to why it wouldnt last as long?

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC.☺

The S4 is a good phone and it deserves a good battery and charger. Have you taken a look at the battery? If it's bulging at all, it's certainly failing. Even if flat, I'd suspect battery before phone. But if it is the phone, three things that might help are 1) Clearing the app cached data in Settings, Storage; 2) Wiping the Cache Partition in Recovery; 3) Factory Resetting, also in Recovery....of course all personal data not backed up will be lost with this option.
It may also be worth checking your battery stats to see what's using charge. There may be something abnormal going on which is causing drain.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey ya'll,

I got a galaxy S4 for Christmas a about a year ago and I loved the long battery life it had. Recently, my battery hasbt lasted anywhere near to what it used to. Before it started to not last very long, my stock charger broke so I used my moms old kindle charger. It charged my phone really fast and i think thats the reason why it doesnt last very long. And its nit the battery itself, its the phone. Any ideas as to why it wouldnt last as long?

Posted via the Android Central App

Do you notice any unusual battery usage in the battery stats? What about a factory reset? Have you performed one since purchasing the device? It seems like something is causing battery drain. If you can't pinpoint the problem through the battery stats, then consider a reset. Be sure to sync and backup data beforehand since it will erase everything except the SD card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Install Galaxy Charging Current Lite. Plug the charger in. (Press Refresh if no charge is showing.) Unless the charge is more than 2600 (1 times the capacity of the battery, or 1C), there's nothing wrong with using the charger. (And I doubt that the Kindle charger is capable of anywhere near that. Your old S4 charger may have been defective, so the Kindle charger charged faster.)

As Golfdriver said, we need screenshots of both pages of your battery stats to have a chance of diagnosing the problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Let the phone sit for a few hours, turned on and not charging. (Charge it first, though, with the power off - 27% is a bit low to let the battery get to.) Then go to that screen and press the graph. Look at the Awake line at the bottom. If it's not almost all black, install Wakelock Detector to see what's keeping the phone from sleeping (which eats a lot of battery).

John Milne

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I'm new to this forum but thought I'd share my experience as its similar to those posted. I have a Samsung galaxy s4 (on 3 mobile) which had previously had excellent battery life and following the kitkat update, the battery started draining from unplugging it at 7am to being flat/dead at 5pm.
I ended up buying a new battery (samsung original) and it made absolutely no difference - still couldnt get a days work out of the phone even with very light use.
This week i noticed the standard email app (i'm using sky email) was constantly refreshing so i disabled that app and my gmail app and the battery life has gone back to the way it was before. Its currently 10:58pm and my battery is sitting at 46% after taking it off charge this morning! I'm currently using google inbox as my mail client and everything seems fine.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.☺

Thx for sharing....your experience may be of help to others and in fact has already given me something to think about as a possible solution to a problem I've got myself at the moment.

Gobucks1234

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got two batteries online for twenty bucks. That seems to be the easiest check. Also if you press hold home button and press the pie chart you can check active apps. I had Firefox app and it would constantly use 40 percent of cpu. Uninstall Fixed my battery drain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7