Which Asus Memo Pad 8 Do I want?

T0beyeus

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Right now Amazon has the Asus ME180A for $129.99 and the Asus ME181C for $150. I cannot see any difference between the two other then the price and processor.

The ME180A is the older model and using a 1.6 GHz. AMD E Series Processor, the ME181C which is newer is using a 1.33 GHz. Intel Atom Processor. Both are Quad Core processors. I know very little about processors so from my ignorance I assume that the AMD is better because 1.6 is a larger number then 1.33.

Are there any other significant differences between the two models? I can only find reviews on the products individually but nothing comparing the two. The processor to me is the most important aspect because tablets are not like desktops what you get it what you get, there are no upgrades. So if one processor will stay current which the demands of the apps coming out in the future then that is the processor I want.

If there is no difference then I would just save the $20.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's a comparison on GSMArena: Asus Memo Pad 8 ME180A vs. Asus Memo Pad 8 ME181C - GSMArena.com

The ME181C is a bit lighter, has vibration, and a 1080p videocamera (vs 720p). Interestingly, it also mentions "autofocus" specifically, while the M180A doesn't, which makes me wonder if the latter's camera is just a fixed focus camera (which is close to useless). Bluetooth is 4.0 vs 3.0. GPS is present. The SoC, although having a lower clockspeed than the M180A's, is probably faster (GHz doesn't really tell the whole story any more).

T0beyeus

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The tablet will be for my mom, so I don't think the Bluetooth will matter, the possible fixed camera does sound horrible. Not that cameras on tablets are known for their quality. I have heard when reading reviews that the processor on the ME181C can reach 1.83 GHz with Turbo but I have no clue what that means (Is that like overclocking?). Perhaps that is how the Intel will be faster? Do you think the $20 is worth the benefits? Since tablets are fixed tech that can't be customized I am really looking for a tablet that will be able to keep up with newer apps for the next 2-3 years. I don't want to buy my mother a new tablet every Christmas ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the price difference is only $20, I'd get the newer one. Not only does it have better specs and features, but it's also more likely to receive system updates for a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech