Sd card unwriteable???

dewagame

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I've checked the permission on device/etc/permission/platform.xml and its no problem as u can see the photo i put below....but it is say that my sd card is not writeable while im using csr screen recorder and some other application..

#helpmepleaseeeeee
#i'mnoob

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416758126710.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416758126710.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 13

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I'm assuming you have root access. I looked at the platform.xml quickly and it looks fine. What part of the SD card are you trying to access? Also is the storage internal or external? Some phones call the internal storage an SD Card. Note: You can also use ES to change permissions as well.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
From KitKat on, an app can't write to a folder on the external card that it didn't create (or isn't a member of the group that the app that created it is). If you had the folder there before the update to KitKat, back everything in it up to your computer, delete the folder, run csr and let it create the folder, then copy everything back.

dewagame

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
From KitKat on, an app can't write to a folder on the external card that it didn't create (or isn't a member of the group that the app that created it is). If you had the folder there before the update to KitKat, back everything in it up to your computer, delete the folder, run csr and let it create the folder, then copy everything back.
Can you please teach me step by step...im noob
Pleaseee....

dewagame

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I'm assuming you have root access. I looked at the platform.xml quickly and it looks fine. What part of the SD card are you trying to access? Also is the storage internal or external? Some phones call the internal storage an SD Card. Note: You can also use ES to change permissions as well.
Both internal and external cant be write...can u teach me step by step please...

dewagame

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes i have root access..both internal and external can be write...it can be write manually using any file browser...but cant write if im using app like scr screen recoder, gamecih, and other apps. It says that 'sd card is unwritable, no permission from the root'.

Can u teach me step by step please

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes i have root access..both internal and external can be write...it can be write manually using any file browser...but cant write if im using app like scr screen recoder, gamecih, and other apps. It says that 'sd card is unwritable, no permission from the root'.

Can u teach me step by step please
Like Rukbat said, Kitkat removed the ability for apps to write to SD Cards. Try this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&token=LUePcRRO

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The card itself, the root of the card, is writable (both the internal "card" and the external card). An app should be able to create a folder on the card. Then that app, and only that app (or root) can write anything in that folder (or if the group the app is a member of has write permissions, any app in that group can).

All KitKat changed was that the external SD card is now handled as normal Linux storage, not as the wild west of storage (where any app could write anything anywhere - no app could do that in internal storage before).

If you uninstall the app, delete its folders (use Settings/General/Storage/Miscellaneous - look for the app, press the box to check the app and press the trash can), install the app from scratch (from the Play Store, not from a backup, so you're getting the latest version) and it still can't write to its own folder, either the app isn't written to run on KitKat (it's trying to write to a folder it has no permission to write to) or the phone has a major problem (probably one that can be fixed by reflashing the ROM (which your carrier should be able to do, but I'd save that as a last desperate attempt - check with the app author first).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And one more thing...is this problem caused by root?
Root has noting to do with anything unless you're running an app that requests root rights. ALL it means (aside from the little tricks needed to do it on a phone, by people who don't know Linux from mashed potatoes) is ONE FILE (named su) that an app can use if it wants root. If the particular app doesn't request root (IOW, if you don't need root to run that app - and it will tell you on the play Store page for the app) it doesn't even know that the phone is rooted.

In plain Linux you'd run the command

su cp thisfile there

to copy this file to there, where "there" is a system folder that only root can write to. If you're just copying a file to the SD card, the app does

cp thisfile here-on-the-SD-card

It doesn't call su, so su has nothing to do with the reason cp isn't working on the SD card. What it does have to do with is the fact that if the app isn't the owner of the folder, or a member of the group that owns the folder, it can't write to it - since KitKat. From Jellybean back, any app could write to any folder. Sometimes that led to problems that took days to figure out, and it's not elegant. (Telling a programmer that his code is inelegant is something you don't do in mixed company - or if you want to keep your teeth. It's worse than telling him that he couldn't code his way out of a wet paper bag.)

dewagame

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Some apps don't let you record the screens for reasons of safety. Do you mind telling us what app were you trying to record? That will help us assist you better.
Recording the screen is not important to me..but its about the safety issue every time i try to record the screen...not only scr screen recorder but i've other apps that problem seem like that, such as camera and etc. Every time i set the camera to store the pic to ext. Sd card, it is stopped.