My Droid Turbo (32gb, kevlar back, no external casing) creaks when the edges are squeezed (fingers on the left and right of the screen, most notably about 1/4 of the way up the phone), as well as when the front and back are squeezed (also about 1/4 of the way up the phone).

The amount of pressure that I am applying is enough to firmly grip the phone. The sound is quiet, but it is a noticeable creak. It somewhat dissipates in the very short term after several back-and-forth squeezes. It is definitely annoying. I actually replaced my very first Turbo device for this same issue, although it was much more pronounced (the gaps within the phone were much larger and noisier).

I have looked this up and have heard that this may not be uncommon for Motorola phones / plastic casing / something to do with heat expansion. I would really love any and all opinions or known facts about this element of all phones / my phone.

Thank you very much for your response!
    11-29-2014 09:41 AM
    It really has to do with the cost of precision. They can make a case that has close to zero clearance between parts (and I mean millionths of a micron), but the case would cost a few million dollars each in mass production. It's why a car engine has to be broken in. They could make engines that don't have to be, but machining to such tight tolerances is unbelievably expensive.

Would you rather have a squeak and 16GB more storage, or less storage and no squeaks - for the same price? I'd rather they put the money where it really matters, rather than into places that make no practical difference. My Note 3 kind of "cracks" if I hold it to my ear and squeeze the sides just below center. The itch on my finger bothers me more.

If enough people were willing to spend what it would cost to produce the perfect phone, I'm sure the manufacturers would be glad to take your $50,000 for a phone. I can't see that happening when MANY people still look for under-$100 phones.
    11-29-2014 04:45 PM