Multiple Same Use Apps. What do I need and don't I need?

Woody Wood 0

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm the type that's not into having a lot of apps on my phone I don't need or use and more into speed and memory space. Now I'm trying to figure out what apps I need or don't need or which is the better app to keep. Examples Gallery vs Photos and Google Voice vs Samsung Voice. Also trying to get rid of any preloaded apps on here that cost $$$ to use that I don't need as well. Can anyone advise on what I need or don't need, what to keep and what not to keep?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Woody,

Messing around with pre-loaded apps can be tricky since you can lose functionality. Also, we'd need to know exactly which phone and carrier you're using. But as a general rule of thumb you can try the following: If you see it but don't use it, chances are you won't need it, so go ahead into the Application Manager and find the app you don't want. If it has an UNINSTALL button, you're in luck: your phone doesn't need this to work properly. Good riddance. If it has an UNINSTALL UPDATES and then that turns into a DISABLE button (or the latter is there from the beginning), it means your phone MIGHT need this for some functions but it's not critical. You cannot uninstall them to free up space (unless you root and you manually get rid of the files, which is a lot riskier), but at least they won't be active at all in your phone using resources. If you don't see either of these buttons, it means that either the manufacturer or the carrier have deemed this process as critical and must always be running. This doesn't always mean that it IS a critical process, just that they don't want you to get rid of it. In this case, rooting would be the only way to make them go away, with the inherent risk this brings.

DISCLAIMER: If you do go the rooting way, I strongly suggest you really research your phone model and carrier and find similar lists of 'safe to delete' apps. Delete the wrong stuff, and you might end up with a crippled phone and a voided warranty. You've been forewarned.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rule of thumb - don't uninstall an app you didn't install, freeze it. Then if it turns out that the phone really needs it you can unfreeze (or thaw, depending on the app you use to freeze it) it.

I prefer QuickPic to Gallery or Photos. I prefer Google Voice to Samsung. But freeze the wrong app (like messaging) and the one you use to replace it won't work, because it depends on processes it uses from the stock app, rather than duplicate them.

Woody Wood 0

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
OK I'll just go the Uninstall method which I'll also means this freezing your referring to. LOL, No I don't want to go doing any adjusting anything on my own and mess my phone up. I'll just hide it if I can't remove it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX