How do you reset the Sound & notification controlling App in Lollipop?

Peter Van Wirt

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
In Lollipop, my wife's phone has been set to use "File Explorer" app to find ringtones etc. Now when she hits Default Notification Ringtone, it does not bring up a list of ringtones, just a file folder listing. Can this be reset to the default somehow?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
In Lollipop, my wife's phone has been set to use "File Explorer" app to find ringtones etc. Now when she hits Default Notification Ringtone, it does not bring up a list of ringtones, just a file folder listing. Can this be reset to the default somehow?
Open system settings - applications - Sort by all - name of the file manager app. Open the app and select clear defaults. The next time a pop up should display asking which app to perform the action.

Let us know how it goes.

Peter Van Wirt

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I should have thought of that. Now when I open the Phone Ringtone, it gives me a choice of Handcent SMS, Media Storage, or the previous File Manager. I know when it used Handcent, the ringtone failed to be found properly. Is "Media Storage" the default application? Thanks again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Media storage is where the sound files are, so it should be the right choice.

You reset the default notification sound in Settings/Sounds. But many apps allow you to set the notification sound for that app (in the app's settings menu).