After transferring music files from PC to the Galaxy Note 3, they are not visible to any music player, but show up in the My Files folder manager and also through Windows Explorer. Have mounted and unmounted the SD-Card and restarted OS. Have cleared the cache, data, on downloaded music app (Samsung does not allow clearing of cache on default player). Have tried storing files in phone memory and SD-Card. Files now reside in several location and can be played fine with My Files file manager but none of them are visible to any music player (2 loaded). Symptoms occurring on two separate, but identical phones, with multiple files and multiple attempts.
    12-04-2014 02:55 PM
    Look in those folders again. Do you see a file named .nomedia? Any folder with a file of that name stops media scanning immediately and the folder is bypassed. If you see one there, and you want the files in that folder scanned (so they can be found by media players), delete or rename the file. (It doesn't matter what's in the file, if you have to create a new one - it's the file name that counts.)

Also restart the phone after copying the files and, if that doesn't work, install an app like Rescan Media to force a rescan.
    ajay ramani and Lucy Al Fakih like this.
    12-04-2014 04:11 PM
    Scanned entire phone for .nomedia and found 8 incidents but none in any music folder and none on the SD-Card where most music is stored. Downloaded 2 apps to force a rescan of media files. Scan ran successfully and included a new test folder that was created on the SD-Card with a few test MP3 files included. Restarted the device each time a rescan was run. Still, the test (new) files are not being read by either music player but remain completely visible and in the MY FILE application and playable only from there. Frustration level increasing. . . . :-(
    12-04-2014 07:01 PM
    An app will only show file types it's capable of playing. Are you sure you're not looking for the files in an app that can't play them? (I know, they play when you run them from My Files - but are they running in the app you're using to look for them?) If so, I'm about as stymied as you are, because it's not supposed to work like that. (I mean a computer in general isn't, not just your phone.)
    12-04-2014 08:51 PM
    The App(s) work fine, play all the old files with no problem. They just quit identifying any new files that are added by copy/paste or drag-and-drop. You would think adding a completely new folder, adding that folder to the scanning criteria would be a sure fix;, but zip, nada, nothing is being recognize. I'm a pretty savvy guy when it comes to computers and even more savvy when it comes to the logic of troubleshooting. However, this one is kicking my ****. Appreciate the attempt to help.
    12-05-2014 10:27 AM
    Wow it was easy step
    Firstly I deep scanned for .nomedia file or folder in ex file explorer and than deleted all files/folders with that name.
    Than unmounted sdcard and mounted it again whoila music player started working once again
    Thanks
    08-28-2015 03:16 PM
    You would think adding a completely new folder, adding that folder to the scanning criteria would be a sure fix
    How would you add copying a specific file to the scanning trigger, unless you had a list of all file names (which is actually as close to infinite as I want to come)? I can see triggering on adding any file type that might be media, but that would make the copy process pretty long. (For every file copied, the entire database of media file types would have to be checked. So if you added a folder with 100 files, the database would have to be checked 100 times (or there would have to be a huge "select" statement - which wouldn't run very fast in SQLite). Copying, renaming, doing whatever you want, then triggering a single rescan is much faster.
    08-28-2015 03:58 PM
    Wow it was easy step
    Firstly I deep scanned for .nomedia file or folder in ex file explorer and than deleted all files/folders with that name.
    Than unmounted sdcard and mounted it again whoila music player started working once again
    Thanks
    Careful. ANY picture file that gets on your SD card will show in Gallery now - so if you have your web browser set to use the SD card as temp storage, you're going to see thousands of little graphics. Like the "POST NEW REPLY" button on this page. The "LIKE" button. All the adds. That's what the .nomedia file is for - "I'm storing media files here, but I don't want them shown to the user every time he looks for files of this type". Remove .nomedia from your folders, but not from all folders. (.nomedia is a file, you should never see a .nomedia folder.)
    08-28-2015 04:02 PM
    After I connect my Samsung S5 phone to my pc, I can't find my Music folder. I had some old music that I can access from my phone's Music icon, but it did not show on my pc. It seems to me that not all the folders on my phones were shown on pc. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    12-12-2016 11:26 AM
    Omg! Thank you so much I had this problem in my note 5 and I deleted the .nomedia file and it worked! Many thanks.
    02-26-2017 03:20 PM
    You are a genius....worked from first step.
    Thanks
    10-21-2017 06:54 AM
    I have noticed a similar problem on three different models of Android phones, two of which were Verizon phones and one is an AT&T phone. As in the OP, the .nonmedia files are not involved in this problem. The problem also is not caused by file types the player cannot play, because as in the OP, the files in question are accessible and playable from a file manager app.

The problem in my case is that sometimes, not all the time, it takes awhile for player apps to find music files just added to the phone using Android File Transfer.

For example, tonight, I was adding files to my phone, one at a time, each file transfer separated by 1-3 minutes. I added six files this way, and each of the six appeared immediately in the player app music list. File 7 was just like the six before it, same file extension going into the same folder on the phone. The only difference I can find is the seventh file is not present in the song list in my music player, whereas the six before it are there.

Now what is going on that could cause this behavior?

Would rebooting the phone possibly cause the file to appear the player app? If so, why?
    12-26-2018 02:09 AM