Why is my S3 have intermittent charging issues in vehicles?

Klarpsnarkle

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
S3 intermittent charging in vehicles

AT&T Galaxy S3 Android 4.2.2 My phone won't constantly charge in either of my vehicles. Not in the 12v adapter or in the usb in on my Kenwood stereo. It keeps connecting and un-connecting causing the phone to continuously beep and the stereo to change to usb mode. I can charge the phone using the same cables on my desktop pc usb and laptop pc usb or even the usb adapter that plugs into the wall. I have tried four different 12v adapters and a plethora of cables and still no constant charge in the vehicles.

I don't know anyone with a similar phone to see if it replicates the symptoms.

Any thoughts would be great.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: S3 intermittent charging in vehicles

Plug in the AC (or USB) adapter at home. Wiggle the cable a little at the phone end, so you're putting a little motion on the microUSB connector. It'll probably also be intermittent, like in the car.

I suspect that the microUSB connector solder connections have broken, so it makes and breaks contact with vibration or strain. A new connector board is cheap, but the labor to replace it might be twice or 3 times the price of the board. (I don't recommend opening the phone that far yourself unless you're experienced with working on cellphones.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy