Why is my data usage so high. Can i clear it?

Yvette Leanne

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a data usage warning and most of it is used by Facebook.... Is there any way I could clear it and make it unlimited? Or to I actually have to go to at&t to have fixed? What can I do?

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if you want to lower your data usage or stop the limit warning. So I'll try both :)

If you go to settings - Data Usage just uncheck the limit box or set it higher. Maybe your carrier has an extra setting for that. Worth checking in the at&t settings.

Go to Facebook settings and try to change the background ones and refresh/sync time. If you use the browser instead of the app your battery and data limits will be very happy :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use Facebook a lot, you're going to use a lot of data - there's no way to make it use less data than you want to see. It's like filling a quart container with less than a quart of water. If you want to see 5GB of data, it's going to cost you 5GB to see.

AT&T has no unlimited plan, so you can't "make it unlimited". About all you can do is not use Facebook unless you're on wifi. (Wifi usage doesn't count against your data usage limit.)

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
... If you use Facebook a lot, you're going to use a lot of data - there's no way to make it use less data than you want to see. ...

There are many ways to use less data (even much less data) when using Facebook. A simple look to the app settings will tell you how. Chat on/off, refresh time, notifications for every single movement, video autoplay, photos sync, location services ... And that's without changing your account settings!

It's just a question of spending 5 minutes with the settings and even using FB a lot you're not going to use so much data.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are many ways to use less data (even much less data) when using Facebook.
I still say "there's no way to make it use less data than you want to see." If the user wants to use chat, or see videos play as they scroll into view, or the other functions, they're going to cost the data they're going to cost. (Which is why I didn't suggest not using Facebook - that would save 100% of Facebook's data usage.) I assume the OP has Facebook set up the way he wants it to work. Why would he have it set up the way he didn't want it to work?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I still say "there's no way to make it use less data than you want to see." If the user wants to use chat, or see videos play as they scroll into view, or the other functions, they're going to cost the data they're going to cost. (Which is why I didn't suggest not using Facebook - that would save 100% of Facebook's data usage.) I assume the OP has Facebook set up the way he wants it to work. Why would he have it set up the way he didn't want it to work?

Come on mate :) This doesn't make much sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs