How do I recover corrupted video files on sd card?

eri06n

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
recovering corrupted video files on sd card

I am trying to recover video files from a corrupted sd card. I have done the 'chkdsk' process and the last message reads "windows has made corrections to the file system". Does this mean it is fixed? How do i know what corrections it has made?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: recovering corrupted video files on sd card

Chkdsk checks the filesystem. If the files are readable, but they're not proper video files (IOW, the files are corrupted, the filesystem isn't), there's no way to "fix" them. (You can't change a 1 to a 0 without knowing which it's supposed to be - maybe it's supposed to be a 1. You'd need an uncorrupted version of the file to correct the corrupted version, which is pointless.)

If the file can be read, but the media player won't play them, they're gone.

If nothing can be read because there's no file there, PhotoRec might recover something. Download it, burn it to a CD or DVD, start the desktop or laptop with it. Put the SD card in a card reader and connect it to the computer. Tell PhotoRec which drive is the SD card. It'll recover anything that looks like a known file type to the hard drive. If the video is enough like a video file, it'll be copied - as it is - IOW, if it's corrupted, it'll still be corrupted.

It's not possible to create information out of nothing. If the data that represents the video is no longer there, it's no longer there. If the data representing where the file is and how long it is, is no longer there, or if the file has been deleted, PhotoRec might recover the file.

If there are crosslinked files (files that claim to both be in the same spot for parts of them), or pieces of files that aren't linked to any information (the file name, where it is, etc.), chkdsk will fix those problems.

So the answer to your question is "How was the card corrupted? The filesystem or the individual file?" and "What were the results on the screen of running chkdsk?" (If you just ran chkdsk f: [or whatever drive the SD card was], it will only show you the problems, it won't fix anything. If you ran chkdsk f: /f, it will have fixed the problems it lists on the screen, which may or may not be why you can't play the videos.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair