Excessive Data Usage - Are there any apps to turn off selected data-using apps per a schedule?

dombosc

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a Galaxy S4 (Virgin Canada) with KitKat installed (4.4.2) and have recently been getting very high data usage (119 MB today, on a 1 GB plan). My phone is not rooted.

I use Onavo extend, so I am not fully aware of what apps were eating it up this morning, so I turned that off to see if I can get more info.

What I would like is to find an app that can turn off specific apps according to a schedule or at least when its in data mode; I have seen something like that on my wife's iPhone 6.

I looked at Greenify, that doesn't seem to do what I am looking for, and anyways my phone is not rooted so I would have only limited functionality.

I am thinking something along the lines of 'Phone Schedule' which turns toggles various functionalities according to a schedule. (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.antonc.phone_schedule&hl=en&token=t9qb2Zez)

Is there anything out there that can do this, without me needing to root the phone?

Thanks!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Tasker allows you to set those types of profiles, and is really customizable. Otherwise, you can go into system settings - applications - accounts and disable automatically syncing data. If you know which apps are the problem, then go into those settings and disable syncing as well.

I'd really suggest Tasker since you can set a time or location profile to disables certain apps from using data.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And if you want to try something free first (although Tasker isn't only cheap for what it can do, it's just cheap), ITTT (If This Than That) might also be able to do it. But Tasker is almost a "build your own phone".

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tasker is almost like writing an app - just a little easier. (A little easier, not a lot easier - you still have to write the app, you just don't have to worry about how to interface it with the phone's class files and APIs. But it's a great way to learn programming.)

dombosc

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was looking at some material on it today, should be interesting to try that out ...I'm no programmer, but should be able to manage, thanks again for the recommendation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon