Why is it when I transfer music files to the SD Card, all I get is empty folders?

damocles1972

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Transferring music files to SD Card... All I get is empty folders

I have an S5, and recently purchased a Samsung 64gb micro card to transfer my music to it. I open the folder on the card itself to transfer music to it, and I start transferring music from my external drive. It shows the files are moving over... but when I access the music from my phone, all I see is empty folders. Looking at the file folders themselves, the names transfer through... but everything is empty. Anyone else having any issues? Fixes? HELP! lol

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transferring music files to SD Card... All I get is empty folders

When you look at the folders with a file manager in the phone (My Files will do), are the files there? If not, you aren't transferring them.

If they are, when you press a file, does it play? If not, what error message are you getting?

Possible problem #1: You can't transfer a shortcut, you have to reansfer the actual file that the shortcut points to.

Possible problem #2. Most USB hubs will overheat on sustained data transfer and stop transferring data. You won't get any indication, it will look as if the data is transferring, but it isn't. Plug the phone into the computer, not into a hub.

Possible problem #3. You're removing the phone from the cmputer without safely removing it (right-click the phone and click Eject, or use the safe removal icon in the tray [in Windows]). If the computer hasn't finished transferring data, it's not transferred. Windows uses "delayed write" - it stages the files for transfer, but does the actual writing to the card when it's not doing something else (which normally takes only an additional second or so). When you safely remove the phone, it forces Windows to finish writing the files now instead of waiting until it has time, before telling you that it's safe to remove th phone.