How can i recovery deleted data from HTC?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You can try a file recovery program on a PC, but I wouldn't really get your hopes up. From what I understand, once data is deleted in Android, it is usually unrecoverable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the data was a file on internal storage, you probably won't. The phone has to be rooted (which can overwrite the data you['re trying to recover) and you have to install a file recovery app (which can overwrite the data you're trying to recover).

If it was data in a database, it's possible that te data is marked deleted, but it's still all there. (It may have an "active/deleted" field to mark deleted data, so that space can be freed up if you compact the database.) Then a SQLite editor, and a little knowledge (like knowing SQL and knowing which file the database is) will enable you to "unmark" the record, so it's active again.

If it's data on the external SD card, download PhotoRec, burn it to a disk, put the SD card into a card reader, start the computer with the disk you burned and let PhotoRec have at the SD card. It'll recover just about every file on the SD card (whether the file is deleted or not - it looks for files, not at the filesystem).

Using a file recovery program on a PC can't work, because you can't see deleted files in the phone on a PC - the phone only tells the PC about non-deleted files. File recovery programs on PCs and Androids (other than PhotoRec) look at the directory information - which chows what the file is, where it is ... and that it's marked as deleted. If it hasn't been overwritten (the space taken by a deleted file is considered usable space to save any other file), the program just marks it not deleted and it's recovered. You can't do that with one computer to the storage medium on another computer.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
iPubsoft recovers from the microSD card (read their own web page). PhotoRec does a much better job and it's free.

Oh, and you can't recover data that's been overwritten - it's not there any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance