Why are my apps deleting themselves when I move them to an sd card?

Ananchel Lopez

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
64GB micro sd card format issue

Hi, I have an LG-D415, and I wanted to discuss an issue about my micro SD Card. It's a 64 GB SDXC Samsung micro sd card and, I first ordered it for my Nvidia Shield Portable. Once I connected the card into my Shield, apps would delete by itself everytime I would move them to the sd card. I then downloaded an sd partition software on my laptop and seen that it was on exFAT. I switched it to FAT32, same thing happened... After that I switched it to NTFS. Even worse. The apps wouldn't even move to the sd card. Fortunately I got a hold on switching my sd card back to FAT32 and decided to just use it for my phone. Another fortunate thing is that nothing bad has happened yet, since it's in FAT32 format. The main question for me is that, howcome this always happens only to 64 GB micro SD Cards? It never happens to neither 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, nor 32GB.. I don't know about 128GB because I never owned one before. But, why do the formatting issues occur more on 64GB micro sd cards?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 64GB micro sd card format issue

There are quite a few little technical differences between FAT32 and exFAT, but the main one that would concern users is that the maximum file size in FAT32 is 4GB, while in exFAT the maximum is 128PB (1,000TB), something that will be enough for at least the near future. (A video can easily exceed 4GB, and a camera recording a file larger than that will break it into 2GB or 4GB segments on a FAT32 card.)

The LG-D415 can't support cards larger than 32GB, so you might find problems with the card still. If you partition it into a 32GB FAT32 partition and a 32GB ext4 partition, the phone will probably handle it better. (Android can't natively handle NTFS or HTFS formats, it needs an app like Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ to mount them.)

(I couldn't find max card size specs for the Shield.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7