Why isn't Google Maps reading Contacts?

rankl2609

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Google Maps not reading Contacts.

I'm posting this as a new question because I can't see how to reply back to an answer posted by B. Diddy on Nov 5th. I have confirmed my Google settings and my contacts as stored in the People app on my Motorola Droid Turbo are still not being read.

I have found a workaround, that if I launch the People app, and bring up the particular contact with an address, and press on the address, it will launch into Google maps and I can then use the Navigate feature. I would like to avoid having to go through this workaround and be able to use the Google Maps app as described in its Help section about how to read directly contacts.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Maps not reading Contacts.

Have you tried doing this from Google Now, formally Google Voice Search? I believe the command is "navigate to joe smith" and more specific if you have multiple addresses for the same contact, "navigate to joe smith home." I've gotten it to work some times and other times it may open the contact, or show me the address, and other times it's way out in left field. Not sure what the key is with getting it to work. Lately i've also noticed that I don't have to say "call little caesars work", just "call little caesars"? You may have to vary the command to get it to work for your application. I might try "navigate to contact joe smith" or if it is still not working you may try "show me the address for joe smith" or "show me the address for joe smith on a map". That may give you the option to navigate with fewer touches. You could just ask for "joe smiths contact info". While I'm almost certain that I've asked in the maps app for a contact address in the past and gotten it I haven't in awhile. It could have been phased out in an update.

rankl2609

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google Maps not reading Contacts.

Yes, when I try using the Google Now voice search with "Navigate to Joe Smith", it opens up the contact, and then I have to select the address. I would like a completely "hands-free" option.