Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S3 update the OS?

Poppy Haynes

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
why won't my samsung galaxy s3 update the OS

I have a straight talk Samsung Galaxy S3 with android v 4.1.2. Straight talk does not recognize my phone as being compatible with there upgrade. It is a SCH-S968C and it is a Straight Talk phone purchased from Walmart. I believe it uses verizon but when trying to upgrade through Verizon, I also get an error.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why won't my samsung galaxy s3 update the OS

Because you're not a Verizon customer. Verizon only updates phones on a currently active Verizon account.

You'll have to get the update file (devs on XDA usually capture them and post them in the phone's development forum) and install it using Odin.

CaonicalDroid

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site

I know how to get you to 4.4.4 Kitkat but you have to be willing to root your phone and flash a custom rom. You can PM me or do a quickreply on this thread letting me know if your ready. And we are currently working on lollipop for this phone ^.^ And there are some great roms out for it! I suggest you PM me and listen to what I have to say!

MikDi

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site

The one thing Straight Talk won't tell you is that whatever android phone you bought from them won't be able to update the OS. Not unless you root your phone. If you don't want to do that the only other option is to get an unlocked android phone and pop in a sim card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@SHJackson,

You can't update a rooted phone. (That's deliberate because, while the phone is rooted, you can make changes that would cause an update to brick the phone [turn it into a brick, not a phone].)

The choices are reflashing the stock ROM (if you have a copy, or can get one from someone who does - it's too old to be listed anywhere that I can find), living with the one you have or buying a newer phone. And with that old a phone, the chances are that no one (other than possibly someone at Area51 Forum) ever wrote a nwewer version than the one that came with the phone. (ROMs have to be modified for each model phone.)

("Unrooting" the phone, unless you manually installed su into the filesystem, is still going to leave traces that the phone was rooted.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE