Why does my phone only charge when locked?

Adam Syed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Phone only charges when locked

First off I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD 32gb.

A few weeks ago I was with my dad and in his car, my phone was dying so i plugged it into his USB cable in the car, which unbeknownst to me at the time was frayed(?). The cable started smoking so I immediately unplugged it.

Later that night my phone died completely, so I go to charge it. Here I find out after many minutes of worry that my phone will only charge when the device is locked. The second i unlock my phone it no longer charges, the battery icon says it is charging but the phone says its not charging. Only if i lock it THEN plug it in, it charges. only then. It cant go plugged in then lock.

Adam Syed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Phone only charges when locked

yes, all my chargers have the safe result, they all only charge when its locked. My friend had the assumption that some logic circuit got fried that designates how the phone reads incoming currents, i dont know

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone only charges when locked

It sounds as if your friend is about half right. Something got fried that's causing the phone to draw a lot of current when it's not locked, so there's nothing left to charge the battery. Either way, it has to go to the shop. (Fixing the insides of a phone yourself usually ends up being more expensive than paying to have it fixed.)