How do I stop popup ads in MIUI based XIAOMI Redmi note?

BrainIcon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just got my new MIUI based XIAOMI Redmi note, and it's awsome.
The problem is I get whole screen pop up ads in my home screen every once in a while. I know this can happen from some apps but I didnt install any app that i didnt have on my Nexus 4, but it might be freom apps that came with the MIUI, I really dont know.. Can any1 help please?

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That'd be pretty annoying if the manufacturer's own apps caused popup ads. What are the ads selling? Try booting into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. If the popup ads go away, then something you installed is causing the popups. If they persist, then Xiaomi got some 'splainin to do.;)

To enter Safe Mode on most devices, from a powered on state, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Then press and hold Power Off until you see the Safe Mode prompt, and tap OK.

SolykZ

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I encountered yesterday the same problem with my new Redmi 2. The problem was caused by the Weather app. I uninstalled it with Link2SD since the phone was already rooted.
Since then, I saw absolutely no ad.

Regards,
Chris.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to long press on Power Off but no "Safe Mode" words appeared... please help...

If you search for Xiaomi Redmi safe mode, you'll find posts that tell you how to get into it, and posts that tell you that they eliminated safe mode on this phone (which is like eliminating a way to open the hood on a car). Is there a safe mode? Possibly. Try the links you find. (It's NOT the standard way). And there doesn't appear to be any on-screen notification when you ARE in safe mode (if you ever are).

What is Link2SD?
It's an app manager that allows you to enable (unfreeze), disable (freeze) and uninstall apps.

Can you please describe what and how exactly you did?
He probably long-pressed the weather app, then chose "uninstall". Freeze would have done as well, but the app would still be taking space. (Note that, since the weather app came installed, the phone had to be rooted to freeze or uninstall it. That's a totally different subject.)

Candle645

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I encountered yesterday the same problem with my new Redmi 2. The problem was caused by the Weather app. I uninstalled it with Link2SD since the phone was already rooted.

Thanks for info, experienced same problem on my Redme M2, solved by unloading and disabling Weather app via "Settings". No rooting and/or using Link2SD involved.

P.S. Sorry for necroposting (if it's not welcomed here)