Porting a ROM???

Fredo Fosco

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
PLEASE help me!!! I need to port a ROM over to the SPH-L600, and I've tried almost every guide out there. Any help/ideas?

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE help me!!! I need to port a ROM over to the SPH-L600, and I've tried almost every guide out there. Any help/ideas?

Having done ROM work in the past myself it isn't an easy process to port.

Not every OEM uses the same file structure within Android as the others especially when your dealing with skins/UI's. Touchwiz's design isn't the same as HTC, etc. They place files and filenames differently which can make porting very tedious. Then if something your trying to port has custom coding to achieve a change in the UI aside from just a graphic/image your involved in more hard work.

Good luck, it can be done but its not going to happen easily.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Basically what Paul is saying is do web searches for tutorials, read a lot, try porting a ROM on an old phone that isn't worth anything (in case you hard brick it) and learn. I wrote code commercially for 40 years, ported operating systems (try porting an entire OS from one class of CPU to another - I had CP/M running on the 6502 for years), but if I were to port an S5 ROM to an S4, I'd be starting from scratch. It's like a pig farmer growing rice - they have a word in common (growing), but the entire operation is completely different.

So figure at least a few months of study, trial and error (lots of error) before you can just find a ROM you like and port it to another phone like you pour coffee into a different cup.

Fredo Fosco

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much! I'm trying to port a SPH-L720 ROM over to the SPH-L600. They are both touchwiz/Samsung devices, and are both for Sprint. I've tried using the ROM PORTER tool, and followed all of the directions, signed the zip, and flashed it to my phone. It booted up the kernel, but then the logo faded and I was left with a blank screen. I restored it to a backup, and everything works fine. I've tried doing this about 5-6 times and I get the same result. Any tips/pointers?

Fredo Fosco

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much! I'm honored to have an experienced coder read this haha. I'm trying to port a SPH-L720 ROM over to the SPH-L600. They are both touchwiz/Samsung devices, and are both for Sprint. I've tried using the ROM PORTER tool, and followed all of the directions, signed the zip, and flashed it to my phone. It booted up the kernel, but then the logo faded and I was left with a blank screen. I restored it to a backup, and everything works fine. I've tried doing this about 5-6 times and I get the same result. Any tips/pointers?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much! I'm honored to have an experienced coder read this haha. I'm trying to port a SPH-L720 ROM over to the SPH-L600. They are both touchwiz/Samsung devices, and are both for Sprint. I've tried using the ROM PORTER tool, and followed all of the directions, signed the zip, and flashed it to my phone. It booted up the kernel, but then the logo faded and I was left with a blank screen. I restored it to a backup, and everything works fine. I've tried doing this about 5-6 times and I get the same result. Any tips/pointers?
Yeah that should be an easier port being Samsung to Samsung.. TBH, I really never signed my zip files whenever I did work. Even after decompiling, code changes, etc and recompiling them I still never went the route of signing them. That could be one area to look at.. Never used any porting tools so I'm not familiar with them, but if you have an option to skip the signing it would be worth trying.

Is the kernel a working kernel from your device or is it also something that is being ported in? I really have zero knowledge of kernels so I'm not much help there :p

As for the porting from a S4 over to the Galaxy Mega, it should be doable.. Both running comparable Android OS and specs and since your using devices that are on the same carrier (Sprint) that should make things gel even better for the modem (radio), etc.

Fredo Fosco

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that should be an easier port being Samsung to Samsung.. TBH, I really never signed my zip files whenever I did work. Even after decompiling, code changes, etc and recompiling them I still never went the route of signing them. That could be one area to look at.. Never used any porting tools so I'm not familiar with them, but if you have an option to skip the signing it would be worth trying.

Is the kernel a working kernel from your device or is it also something that is being ported in? I really have zero knowledge of kernels so I'm not much help there :p

As for the porting from a S4 over to the Galaxy Mega, it should be doable.. Both running comparable Android OS and specs and since your using devices that are on the same carrier (Sprint) that should make things gel even better for the modem (radio), etc.

Are you saying I shouldn't sign it? I don't know much about signing so that might be the problem haha.

As far as the kernel, the kernel was taken directly from a CyanogenMod zip for my device.

Thank you so much for taking your time to talk with me about this by the way! I was just about to give up and I really appreciate this :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could give it a shot on skipping the signing.. I have heard flashes failing because of an improperly signed zip. Don't get me wrong, signing is the " proper " way to do it but many skip this process from my experience.

Fredo Fosco

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
You could give it a shot on skipping the signing.. I have heard flashes failing because of an improperly signed zip. Don't get me wrong, signing is the " proper " way to do it but many skip this process from my experience.

OK, I'm busy but I'll let you know what happens!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair