Why can't I see emojis from certain phones?

A

AC Question

I have a galaxy s5 with AT&T and my friend has a Kyocera Hydro Vibe with Virgin Mobile. Both phones are KitKat and both have SwiftKey keyboards. Usually when I send emojis via the messaging app people can see mine and I can see their emojis but with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe I can't the emojis she sends back. They come out as a series of question marks. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a way to fix it?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a galaxy s5 with AT&T and my friend has a Kyocera Hydro Vibe with Virgin Mobile. Both phones are KitKat and both have SwiftKey keyboards. Usually when I send emojis via the messaging app people can see mine and I can see their emojis but with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe I can't the emojis she sends back. They come out as a series of question marks. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a way to fix it?

Emojis are dependent on the actual OS provided by the manufacturer. Even though are using the same OS and keyboard, the manufacturer is using a different code to display emojis, which your device can't read. If using a service, such as Whatsapp, then the emojis would show since it's how the service shoes Emoji. It doesn't work the same for the device manufacturers, right as of right now anyways.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Try Messaging, 3-dot menu, Settings, Text Message, Character Encoding.

(Apologies...I posted same moment as previous poster.)

Posted via the Android Central App