Why are my app icons suddenly being grouped together into small boxes of four according to type?

A

AC Question

why are my app icons suddenly being grouped together into small boxes of four according to type?

have a samsung galaxy note 3, and i am a basic ignorant old-lady user. suddenly my app icons are rearranging into related groups of four each (media, play, news, etc.). Tap and they expand, along with intrusive messages about what apps nearby users are using. Perhaps an update of a previously installed app like Clean Master? i don't know but I don't like it. Please help. thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: why are my app icons suddenly being grouped together into small boxes of four according to type?

have a samsung galaxy note 3, and i am a basic ignorant old-lady user. suddenly my app icons are rearranging into related groups of four each (media, play, news, etc.). Tap and they expand, along with intrusive messages about what apps nearby users are using. Perhaps an update of a previously installed app like Clean Master? i don't know but I don't like it. Please help. thanks.
I'm inclined to agree that it may be an update to a previously or recently installed application. Can you take a screen shot of the message so that we can see if it can be identified?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: why are my app icons suddenly being grouped together into small boxes of four according to type?

Hello.
You don't need Clean Master, it pushes other products, but I don't think it's causing this.

I have a UK Note 3.

On Edit: Do they look like these icon folders, or different? -
b6126052e7f53792596bb9b9c0ab936b.jpg

It almost sounds like someone installed another Launcher for you.
Some can be very good, like Nova Launcher, and some can have problems and allow ads and malware.

Can you go to Settings - General - Defaults Manager - and see if Touchwiz Home is the default app launcher.
Launchers are just apps that help with themes and homescreen layouts. You can also change the look of icons, widgets, wallpaper etc. I only use Nova to allow more icons on the homescreen and dock.

If you don't mind you can also reset your app preferences in the Settings, so your messaging, browser, launcher etc go back to the original factory choices.

General - Applications Manager - menu button - reset app preferences.

You can see it that helps. You can then change your preference back each time you are asked by the "Change Default Setting?" pop up.

It may be a rogue app you installed unintentionally.
You can look at Data Usage and the Battery Usage screens.
Scroll down on each and see if there is anything using a very high amount of Battery and Data.

Someone else may have more ideas.

d70ffc63851aace4ca1745df7563bce2.jpg
51d03ed3a88a6d8a25618b540c967c20.jpg
1ce762ce48efd829124fee2fcbbdd6be.jpg
e7134b1b7965d24e144564dfdd50a2d1.jpg
c213a502d2297e77e7f25bee5d05fc84.jpg
14d26c53ae8133b9cf34bb45c8b982ed.jpg

mutz59

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Hi, Here are 3 screen shots, first is usual display of apps, second is after rearrangement, 3rd is after I tap on one of the newly-created box icons. No new launcher, just Touchwiz Home. Looked at data usage... heavy usage by Scout app. But I just noticed on 3rd screen shot that there;s a Clean Master icon next to message at bottom. Also seems to happen after CM Speed Boost. Could it be CM group of apps? They have an awful lot of abilities.
Screenshot_2015-01-19-12-24-44.jpg
Screenshot_2015-01-19-12-32-34.jpg
Screenshot_2015-01-19-12-53-51.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I see what you mean.

I don't know if that's Clean Master or an app downloaded with it, without my trying it.

I have been on the Android Central Note 3 forum a little over a year. Most have tried Clean Master on several occasions. There are other similar apps. Most decided against it, and for the purist it's not needed and adds baggage.

(Maybe I shouldn't knock a product on these forums )

You may know that ram in Android works differently to Windows, and Android is more free from viral attacks.

Let us know if removing Clean Master and related apps you weren't aware of removes that page. I vaguely remember seeing it.

For anti virus you have 3 running I think. Norton, Lookout via Sprint and Malwarebytes. I would use one. I let Malwarebytes do a weekly scan.

Instead of clean master, doing a regular cache wipe in Recovery Mode is worth doing, it cures a lot of ills.

(Volume up - Power - Home button together with phone off - scroll to wipe cache partiition with Volume - select with Power, reboot when indicated with Power)

Welcome to Android Central. Join in the Note 3 forums. There are a few good people there who could know more about this.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm inclined to agree that it may be an update to a previously or recently installed application. Can you take a screen shot of the message so that we can see if it can be identified?
Didn't see you there.
Slow writers will rule the world!

mutz59

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, everyone! I've learned a lot from all of your replies. Will do as suggested!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, everyone! I've learned a lot from all of your replies. Will do as suggested!
I think it may be related to Clean Master. If you notice, the "people nearby are using" is preceded by the Clean Master icon. I'm not sure why it would be doing that, or if it's common. I don't use that app, so I can't say for sure.

I'd suggest going through the settings of Clean Master and see if that option can be disabled. Or, consider a replacement that does not display this type of information. If there is an option to purchase the paid option to disable those advertisements, then maybe it's worth looking at that.

I'd also like to welcome you to Android Central! Follow Madd54 into the Note 3 forums for further Note related discussion.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

The name of the folders and the "people nearby" feature reminds me a lot of the Apus launcher.

azuziel

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Clean Master does it. The one touch boost specifically. Uninstall it and your icons will revert. Hth.

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

The icons being grouped together in the app drawer came with 4.4.4 for me. But it's only in the app drawer. I'm on Verizon note3 4.4.4. I don't have clean master BTW.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX