How to change association of .asp files?

A

AC Question

My wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 running Android 4.4.2.
She tries to open a link in the default Internet Browser to download a .jpg file. The tablet opens up her Sony EReader which then errors out with an invalid file type error. The link is actually a .asp link that is supposed to open a new tab on the browser and download the actual .jpg file. This appears to be an association problem with .asp files but I have tried to reset the default associations both in the device settings and the Sony app to no avail. Is there a way to reset this so .asp files open in the browser short of deleting the Sony app and losing all her books?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
This appears to be an association problem with .asp files
I think it's more a bug in the web browser. Browsers have their own "association lists", they don't use the default operating system associations. However, an .asp page can be written so that only a Windows computer can read it, so the browser is doing the best it can with defective data. (If you know any web developers, have one write an .asp page that produces pure HTML and see if her browser can handle it.)

but I have tried to reset the default associations both in the device settings and the Sony app to no avail. Is there a way to reset this so .asp files open in the browser short of deleting the Sony app and losing all her books?
Internet - possibly the second worst web browser ever written. (Internet Explorer owns the "worst browser" title permanently. Try Chrome or Firefox or Atlas (not much there, but fast).

If it's happening on only that site with only that link, it's probably just another "I have Front Page, so I'm a web developer" page - 1988 technology and a total lack of knowledge of how the web actually works. (There are tens of thousands of sites like that.) Some sites just take up space - they're not usable in most cases. (A Windows computer, running IE, could probably download that picture. News flash to all web "developers" - not everyone is running IE, so test your site in at least the big 5 browsers and make sure it looks and works the same in all of them.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781