Why is my Samsung Galaxy Centura continually locking up?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy Centura continually locks up

I bought this phone a couple years ago from Wall Mart and have Straight talk with Verizon via TracFone. About 6 months ago, it would occasionally freeze up and I would have to either continually hold the volume down button and power button unit it shut off or remove the batter and reboot. It happens now at least 2 or 3 times a day, most usually when I am on Facebook. It also just turns itself off at times as well. This is getting very frustrating. Is there a way I can reformat and install a new operating system.
Thanks...Ronvette

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Centura continually locks up

Welcome to Android Central! It might just be getting old, and the chips could be starting to fail. The Centura isn't a particularly high quality device.

A few things to try:

1. If you have an SD card, it could be corrupt, which can impact performance. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot, and see how the phone performs. Insert the card into your computer and run chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

2. Try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. Follow the steps in this video, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. When complete, then select Reboot System Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlfiIFg4Ng

3. If that doesn't work, try a full factory reset. This will wipe the phone, so be sure to backup or sync your data beforehand.

To check for any official system updates, go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates, and tap Check for Updates. If none show up (which is the most likely situation, because the phone is older and entry-level), then there are no official updates. The only way to install a more current version would be to root the phone and flash a custom ROM, which I wouldn't recommend for a novice.

Ronvette

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site

Thank you B. Diddy for your response. My sd card checked out OK. I was unable to get to the menu for wiping the data or cache partition. After shutting the phone down, pressing the power button and vol up vol down button brought up the Samsung logo but never got beyond that point. I finally released the buttons and it powered up. It has no home button to push as the more advanced models have. Is there another way to do a factory reset. At this point, I don't mind losing data as I have it backed up. Thanks again....Ronvette

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Try pulling the battery for about 10 minutes, put it back in, and try the above, but with just volume up and power.

Ronvette

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site

Thank you Golfdriver97. I tried doing this and still nothing. I probably need to get a better phone. I would like to stay with the Android system. In your opinion, what is the least expensive Android phone that is reliable? I subscribe to Straight Talk, do some texting, occasional use of internet checking my email, Facebook, & browsing. I use the camera features and am satisfied with the Centura so I am sure any better quality phone would have a suitable camera option. Thanks you very much for your input.