How do I transfer data from an SD card (8gb) to a 16gb one?

A

AC Question

Transfer Data from SD card (8gb) to a 16gb one.

Hi

I'm running out of space on the sd card so have bought a larger one. i assumed i could just copy the data from the small one to the larger one and but this larger one in the phone and it would all work as before. But it didn't. Checked on the desktop software but couldn't find the relevant section other than trf from one device to another (this doesn't seem like the option i want).

What am i missing?

Any help much appreciated.

Liam

P.s I've checked the forums but the main question that comes up is about transfering from internal to external which is not relevant.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transfer Data from SD card (8gb) to a 16gb one.

Welcome to Android Central! First of all, does the phone recognize the new card? If not, you would need to make sure it's formatted in the correct filesystem (usually FAT32).

Second, do you have a lot of apps that are moved to SD? If so, then simply copying data over to a new SD card might not prevent the app from becoming "broken." You should probably move all of those apps back to the Internal Storage first, then after inserting the new card, move them all back to SD. If you don't have much Internal Storage to begin with, you might even have to uninstall those apps temporarily, and then reinstall them one by one, moving each app to SD after each installation.

Media files like music, photos, and videos should work fine after simply copying them to the new card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1