On an S4 can I just use GPS and not mobile data when using google maps as sat nav?

A

AC Question

Hi All, I have a Galaxy S4 on an EE contract, over the pass month I have noticed my mobile data turning itself on when I am outside. I have an application called CamerAlert that I use sometimes with google maps but I have ticked the "Restrict background data" on these applications. On my old Nokia N8 I was able to use the GPS without mobile data turning itself on while using maps and camera warning but the S4 even turns mobile data on when I am not using google maps or CamerAlert.

I even put a restriction on "software update" just in case it was this application and that didn't solve the problem, so do I need to restrict all the application listed under "data usage" to stop this happening or is there a workaround.

Kind regards
James.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On Maps, you can download the map of whatever you're seeing at the moment (so do it at home on wifi). The only limit is the amount of storage you have available. Once a map is downloaded you don't need mobile data. (You do, though, to find an address, but you can do that before you leave home.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC