Why can't I open downloaded files on my Android phone and tablet?

A

AC Question

why cant i open downloaded files on my android phone and tablet?

files downloaded successfully, but when try to open , message appears "cant open file"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Again, if you don't have an app that can open that file, it can't be opened. Which app? That depends on the file. If it's an .xlsx file, for example, you need Excel.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Folks, you have to tell us what kinds of files you're trying to open. If the file you downloaded isn't compatible with any app you have, then you can't open it. Certain kinds of apps can't be opened on Android devices at all (like Windows .exe files, for example). As in any forum, details are always helpful.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: why cant i open downloaded files on my android phone and tablet?

If he came from Google Play, you're fine.

If you didn't install it, it can't run.

.apk are Android apps

You need to have file manager and "enable showing file extensions"

Computer Basics 101 so you can ask and folks can understand and respond.

Downloading games from other sources not Google is how computers, smart phones and tablets, get infected with junk, adware, malware, redirected to harmful sites and such. Pop-up ads you can't dismiss or get rid of.

And those .Exe files that run on Windows platform.

Alan707

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Im not the guy for answeres .and i didnt do well in school .however the reason this question keeps getting asked and you geeks keep giveing the same wrong answere is step back relax close your eyes open your eyes now read question again .there not ansking for apps that work with files .there asking (WHY DOES MY ANDEROID DOWNLOAD SOMETHING IF I CANT OPEN IT) and its a good question.why is my android capable of d.l. a certain type of file .my phone did it has it reconized it ..then why wont it open it .heres were im dumb isnt reconishion. .reconishion.explain this to us please.thank you very much geeks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Im not the guy for answeres .and i didnt do well in school .however the reason this question keeps getting asked and you geeks keep giveing the same wrong answere is step back relax close your eyes open your eyes now read question again .there not ansking for apps that work with files .there asking (WHY DOES MY ANDEROID DOWNLOAD SOMETHING IF I CANT OPEN IT) and its a good question.why is my android capable of d.l. a certain type of file .my phone did it has it reconized it ..then why wont it open it .heres were im dumb isnt reconishion. .reconishion.explain this to us please.thank you very much geeks.
Welcome. :)

Your point being, that it ought not to be possible for a file to be downloaded unless the phone or other device is capable of opening it already, without needing to install other file openers?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
WHY DOES MY ANDEROID DOWNLOAD SOMETHING IF I CANT OPEN IT

Just because you cannot open the file now, does not mean you will never be able to open it.
You download a file because you are interested in it.
If you don't already have an app that can read that file, you download and install the needed app.
There is no reason why you should first need to install the reader app.
The order of downloading does not matter.

Sometimes you even choose to download a file you know your phone will never read so that you can transfer it to your computer where it is easily read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox