Why am I getting the error message Failed to obtain IP address when trying to connect to my wifi?

A

AC Question

"Failed to obtain IP address"

I am using a galaxy s5, and last night I was watching a video when suddenly I got booted off of the wifi. I tried to join again, but I got the message "AP currently not in use, internet connection slow." I have tried a static connection, and when I connect, it does not work. My router is a dual-strand router, and has DHCP enabled. I have tried connecting to both the 5 GHz and the what I think is 2.4 GHz. Please help, I have been googling for hours and now it is happening on my galaxy tab S.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: "Failed to obtain IP address"

Have you tried resetting the power to the router (and/or the modem)? Typically when I see this happen, it's because the routing tables have become corrupted or obsolete, and recycling the power forces the router to eject then repopulate them. Mainly because most home routers are built on the cheap, and don't have much storage for very many routing tables. If corrupted or obsolete routing tables aren't discarded like they should be, then there's a chance that new tables aren't being populated when there's no more room. Resulting in limited or no new connections.

pooloop88

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Failed to obtain IP address"

Have you tried resetting the power to the router (and/or the modem)? Typically when I see this happen, it's because the routing tables have become corrupted or obsolete, and recycling the power forces the router to eject then repopulate them. Mainly because most home routers are built on the cheap, and don't have much storage for very many routing tables. If corrupted or obsolete routing tables aren't discarded like they should be, then there's a chance that new tables aren't being populated when there's no more room. Resulting in limited or no new connections.

I just finished rebooting the router, and no improvements... as for the quality of the router, I think it is pretty good, because we just got a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy