Why is my AT&T HTC One (M7) failing to boot?

A

AC Question

At&t HTC One (M7) fails to boot

Hi there. My at&t HTC One (M7) froze when I was trying to open the Skype app. I tried restarting it but it just entered a boot loop only reaching the white screen with the HTC logo and "powered by android" written at the bottom.

I am able to enter the bootloader and have attempted fastboot->reboot and fastboot->power down without any luck. I also tried factory resets, but nothing happens, except the one time where it showed the screen it should for fac reset (htc phone with a green logo), but was stuck on that screen for an hour. I tried again, but the screen is just black (but lit).

Please help me fix this! I'm a student who can't afford to buy another phone...

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: At&t HTC One (M7) fails to boot

Thanks for the message B. Diddy. I am the poster of the above question, and hadn't made an account when I first posted, which I have done now. I did what the link you shared said. However, whenever I select "Recovery" or "Factory Reset", all that happens is that the screen goes black (but still on, not dead as I noticed with the lights off). Any suggestions?

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the message B. Diddy. I am the poster of the above question, and hadn't made an account when I first posted, which I have done now. I did what the link you shared said. However, whenever I select "Recovery" or "Factory Reset", all that happens is that the screen goes black (but still on, not dead as I noticed with the lights off). Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't have other suggestions. Is the phone rooted?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

No, I was trying to figure out if the phone was rooted and running some custom ROM that might have been malfunctioning. You probably won't be able to root if you can't get out of the bootloop.

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Is it possible to unlock the bootloader in the current state of my phone? Because all of the un-bricking methods out there rely on methods that only work with unlocked bootloaders, if I'm not mistaken

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The phone really has to go on the bench for analysis, but I'm suspecting a NAND failure - which means a new motherboard. (And I hope all your important data is backed up - it should always be.)

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well, I have dropped my phone a fair bit, and never really bothered changing my charging wire when a "Slow Charging" notification popped up, which has been happening for months now. Does this still sound like a NAND failure?

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just have one question for the experts here - Is it possible for me to install any ROM whatsoever on a device with locked bootloader that can only be accessed by fastboot?

htconem7

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Major Update!!! My phone is showing some signs of life - I managed to unlock the bootloader and install custom recovery from TWRP. Should I try to install a custom rom now? Or see if re-installing the stock recovery does the trick!?