My Nexus 4 won't charge but then why does it cause all micro USB's to heat up to high temps if plugged in?

A

AC Question

Nexus 4 won't charge, but causes all microUSB's to heat up to high temps if plugged in

Hello,

Just today my phone was charging fine, I went outside in the snow and shoveled the snow (it was still snowing heavily-- some snow did get into my pockets where my phone was) and when I came inside about 20-30 minutes after I put the phone on charge and it wouldn't charge. I smelt something burning so I took out the charger off the Nexus 4 and touched the metal part of the microUSB and it burned me. It was scorching hot. I tried other chargers and wires and the same problem occurs. I've tried calling LG and Google, but the phone is out of warranty. LG said to take it to the technician, however I just wanted to know if there was a fix before doing this. I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments, thank you for your time and consideration.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 won't charge, but causes all microUSB's to heat up to high temps if plugged in

Welcome to Android Central! That doesn't sound good. My guess is that some snow got into the microUSB port, and when you plugged it into the wall outlet to charge, it caused a short.

Does anything charge the phone now? If not, the charge port if probably fried (and hopefully nothing else). I'd bring it to a phone repair shop.