How canI get a VZW Note 3 to work in the Bahamas using BTC SIM card on GSM?

A

AC Question

Getting VZW Note 3 to work in Bahamas using BTC SIM card on GSM

Hi,

I will be spending about 3 months in the Bahamas and want to get a BTC SIM card to use their GSM and data network.

It is my understanding after much searching that I can purchase a BTC SIM card and drop it in me Note 3 to get voice and text and probably data.

I have these questions though:

How do I get data access to work as well?

It seems I have to edit the Access Point Name(s) - APN - on the phone to use the BTC data network but this is disabled on my Note 3.

Will editing an APN get enabled with the BTC SIM card in the phone?

Will I be able to use the phone WiFi hot spot with the BTC SIM card in the phone? If so, how because it will probably want to check the VZW subscription.

Will tethering work?

tia,
paul

Tutsumi

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Getting VZW Note 3 to work in Bahamas using BTC SIM card on GSM

Hi Paul,

According to what I'm seeing, you should be able to get voice and data. If all goes well, the SIM should push settings to your device for you to install the APN. Make sure your Note 3 is internationally unlocked from Verizon, however.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Getting VZW Note 3 to work in Bahamas using BTC SIM card on GSM

It is my understanding after much searching that I can purchase a BTC SIM card and drop it in me Note 3 to get voice and text and probably data.
Voice, text and LTE frequencies are compatible, so yes.

How do I get data access to work as well?
Just with the proper APN.

It seems I have to edit the Access Point Name(s) - APN - on the phone to use the BTC data network but this is disabled on my Note 3.
Go to Verizon. Have them enable International Roaming. If that doesn't unlock the APN (you should be able to add one), ask them to correct that. (You're in the store - when they enable IR, check the APN setting page.)

Will I be able to use the phone WiFi hot spot with the BTC SIM card in the phone? If so, how because it will probably want to check the VZW subscription.
If it does (it probably won't because the blocking is done at the carrier), download a free wifi hotspot or tethering app. But whether you can tether or not depends on BTC. If they don't allow it, or they charge extra and you don't want to pay, you can't.

Will tethering work?
Tethering is using a wifi hotspot, so see above.

Bliss32

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the info.

The local VZW francize has said that it is unlocked, but i'll go to a different, larger store and verify that and test the APN editing.

I just want to get it right the first time because debugging this from the Bahamas would cost almost $2 / min voice.

I always have PDAnet standing by for tethering and hot-spotting; I hope that works ok.

tnx,
p.

Bliss32

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Im here in Bahamas.
Got a mrsimcard which worked. Needed btc help for data but that works now.
Apn editing is allowed with btc sim card loaded.
Cant get phone wifi hot spot to work. It wants to check vzw and can't.
PdaNet and foxfi wifi hotspot demand phone lock pin which seems onerous.
Thx for help and to mrsimcard.
P.