How can I get my Moto X XT1060DE to connecting to my PC?

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Moto X XT1060DE not connecting to PC

Hi, new to the forums here. Made a profile just to ask about this, actually.

So I got the Verizon Moto X Developer Edition a couple months ago and last month decided to root it, which went successfully. Still running stock rom on 4.4.4. Everything was working fine until three days ago, when I plugged the phone into my laptop (Windows 8.1, Android SDK installed, Motorola Drivers installed from their official website) via USB. Nothing came up; no "open device to view files" thing. It wasn't even listed as a device under "My computer".

However, it was listed as an unspecified device in Devices and Printers.

I've done much googling about this over the past couple of days, and nothing I've tried works. USB debugging on and off, deleting and reinstalling drivers, MTP vs PTP, etc. When USB debugging is off, the only driver listed in device manager is MTP USB Device, and it says it's installed correctly and working fine. When USB debugging is on, the drivers include Mot Composite ADB Interface and USB Composite Device, both of which are "working properly".

I've plugged the phone into another PC that does not have Anroid SDK installed, as apparently that can cause problems with connecting Androids, and no dice. The Motorola Drivers from their website is also installed on this computer. MTP USB Device either fails to install or I get the same response as my laptop.

I'm at my wits end here and would really prefer not to reset my entire phone just so I can transfer files to and from my phone and computer. I have Airdroid and I can manage files through apps like Cabinet Beta, but it's just not the same as Windows Explorer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X XT1060DE not connecting to PC

Hi,

Yep, tried two ports on the PC and all three on my laptop using the supplied cable and a Nokia Windows Phone cable. Same thing happened in each scenario.

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for replying, first of all. I forgot to thank you in my last reply.

Rebooting the phone and PC changes nothing. It's very frustrating.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for replying, first of all. I forgot to thank you in my last reply.

Rebooting the phone and PC changes nothing. It's very frustrating.

You are welcome.

Ok, I am grasping at straws now: Are there any system updates for the PC? Try redownloading and reinstalling the drivers?

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually my laptop just updated some stuff today, but it didn't change anything. Just generic Windows stuff I guess. You see my frustration now? :p

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling multiple times by letting the phone plug back in and install on its own. Interesting to note is after I uninstall all the drivers on the phone, I unplug it then plug it in again and all the same drivers are still there. Is that supposed to happen?

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Actually my laptop just updated some stuff today, but it didn't change anything. Just generic Windows stuff I guess. You see my frustration now? :p

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling multiple times by letting the phone plug back in and install on its own. Interesting to note is after I uninstall all the drivers on the phone, I unplug it then plug it in again and all the same drivers are still there. Is that supposed to happen?

Posted via the Android Central App

I am just beginning to hate Windows 8 in general....:mad:

Sometimes, this works for me: I plug the device in let it sit for a few minutes, and then unplug it. I wait a few seconds, then replug it back in and it connects. Maybe that will work?

Edit: I know....I'm reaching for anything now....:p

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I'm so close to just resetting my phone... sigh. Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate it :)

Jayce Bi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

Update:
I did a factory reset on the phone and that fixed the problem (the reset option in settings that wipes everything). My root access was kept, however. It worked, and I could see my phone on my computer again. After reinstalling some root stuff though (Xposed and some modules like GravityBox) I'm back where I was yesterday. This is still super aggravating; I just want my cake and to eat it too!

Edit:
Disabled 3 Xposed modules: Keepchat, Snapshare, and Xposed Media Scanner. Not sure which one of these was the culprit, and might try on the weekend to see which one it is, but for now I'm just glad my phone is being recognized by my computer again. Thanks for the support, Golfdriver97!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Update:
I did a factory reset on the phone and that fixed the problem (the reset option in settings that wipes everything). My root access was kept, however. It worked, and I could see my phone on my computer again. After reinstalling some root stuff though (Xposed and some modules like GravityBox) I'm back where I was yesterday. This is still super aggravating; I just want my cake and to eat it too!

Edit:
Disabled 3 Xposed modules: Keepchat, Snapshare, and Xposed Media Scanner. Not sure which one of these was the culprit, and might try on the weekend to see which one it is, but for now I'm just glad my phone is being recognized by my computer again. Thanks for the support, Golfdriver97!
You are welcome. Thank you for posting the follow up. Xposed modules stopping a PC from seeing a device. Would never have guessed that one.

From an AOSP M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20