Occasionally my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 T320 will shut off and cannot turn back on by pressing the power switch. I went to best buy and was told there is a button sequence that will re-set it; he gave me several sequences, I think it was press and hold the power button and volume up to get to the reset menu to reboot the tablet. Or is it press and hold Volume UP+Home+Power button at the same time. What is the correct button sequence and if this has to be done to get the tablet to power on, is it harmful to the tablet?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    MG
    02-13-2015 01:00 PM
    Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

On most Samsung models its: Power off - Volume up + Power + Home buttons together. You can let go when it vibrates and the screen awakes.

Wait for the little menu above the green Android laying down(?) or it may start installing a small update first.
    Scroll down with the volume keys, select with the Power key. It will go back to reboot when finished and you select with Power.

Anyhoo, I would try a wipe cache partition first and reboot.

If that doesn't solve it, go back and select wipe data / factory reset. It will ask you to confirm from a list again as a precaution.

This will delete all your data and settings, so if you can sync with your Samsung and Google accounts, and save media.
    02-13-2015 01:46 PM
    Madd54:

Thank you for the reply, what does a wipe cache partition do? is there any loss of info or settings?
    Also if I have to use this method to start the tablet , does it harm the unit? According to Best Buy, it can be harmful (?)

Thanks
    MG
    02-13-2015 01:57 PM
    Hi. Thanks for registering.

There is absolutely no harm or risk in either process unless you are trying to do it on a cliff edge in the Himalayas with a tiger bearing down on you, a helicopter gunship firing at you, the wife / hubby ringing you, and an earthquake has just started to trigger an avalanche.
    Then you might fall off if you don't concentrate more on your situation.

OK, Seriously the rep may have been referring to flashing a new stock or custom rom. (Installing the OS after removal), they had an agenda, or know diddly.

Wiping the cache partiition in Recovery mode (what this is) is something most of us do occasionally to smooth out an issue or help it run cleanly. Cache is, well, cough, files that build up that are not needed, are left over from other apps or updates etc. @Rukbat here, or anyone else can explain better than I.

Please check the two guides below.

Also I know a Senior Ambassador here, B. Diddy, has one of these in the family and is aware of any issues. He hits the forums like Flash Gordon a bit later if you want to avoid a full reset until then.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=283020

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=467262
    02-13-2015 02:19 PM
    Madd54:

Thank you for the reply, what does a wipe cache partition do? is there any loss of info or settings?
    Also if I have to use this method to start the tablet , does it harm the unit? According to Best Buy, it can be harmful (?)

Thanks
    MG
    Please be aware I was describing two separate processes here, from the recovery mode screen. Wiping the cache partiition as said leaves the device completely unaffected and helps cure minor problems. It won't do any harm to try.

Neither will doing a factory reset, but it will delete everything you added and set. So you would have to start factory fresh and install your accounts, apps etc.

You can also clear cache that builds up from apps only by going to Storage - Cached Data, and clearing; but Recovery Mode is more thorough because ... because... aaahchooo... because it kinda does the whole system because, well it's complicated but...
    Oh there's someone at the door....

My Samsung Note 3 Storage:
    02-13-2015 02:37 PM
    Many thanks for your reply, also I really like the way you think....read humor!
    Seems like a cross between Igor (they said it was Egor? well they were wrong then!!) and the Far Side.

Thanks again
    MG
    anon8380037 likes this.
    02-13-2015 03:26 PM