How do I solve Google Dialer being slow or sometimes not working on Nexus 4?

A

AC Question

How to solve Google Dialer being slow or sometimes not working on Nexus 4

I have a Nexus 4. Many times the dialer gets stuck and I can't make a call or search for contacts. Other times there is a lag before the search or dialing screen comes up. Rebooting doesn't really help. I don't have the problem all the time. Sometimes it works fine, but when it doesn't, I don't have access to the phone at all.
I've read about upgrades to the Android that may fix the problem but haven't figured out what to do to solve this issue. Can I disable the dialer and use a different dialer? Any ideas as to what can be done? Many thanks.
Barry

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to solve Google Dialer being slow or sometimes not working on Nexus 4

Have you upgraded to Lollipop? There's a bug with the dialer and the contacts apps. Laggy and for some people sometimes even unresponsive. There's not a fix, as far as I know, but you can always install a third party app and you don't need to disable the stock one.

I have a bit of a lag with both apps in my Moto G, but nothing terrible, so I keep using them. I found that clearing the call history log can reduce the lag.

rrc_21

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus 4 was working very well until 5.0 Lollipop was installed after which I faced dialer slow, incoming call name not displayed, phone getting heated up etc. I found many duplicates but duplicate app didnot help. Some time back, I installed Delete all contact app, backed up google and yahoo contacts, set contacts synch off, deleted all contacts using this app and then synched contacts from google and yahoo ids. It was all over in few minutes and my phone started working like a dream - no dialer delay, faster search, instant display of incoming call name. Phone heating also reduced. And, I was surprised to see this operation freed up 2 GB of storage.

rrc_21

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus 4 was working very well until Lollipop Versiion 5.?.? was installed after which I faced slow dialer, search hanging, incoming call name not displayed, phone getting heated up etc. I found many duplicates in contacts but duplicate merge / removal app from playstore didnot help. I instaled Truecaller after reading a blog tip and after a while remove it hoping that will solve the problem but it didnot. Recently, I backed up google and yahoo contacts, set contacts synch off, deleted all contacts using Delete all contact app and then synched contacts from google and yahoo ids. It was all over in few minutes and my phone started working like a dream - no dialer delay, faster search, instant display of incoming call name. Phone heating also reduced. And, I was surprised to see this operation freed up 2 GB of storage. I know Nexus 4 is 4 years old but still some of its features like NFC is way ahead. Its wifi reach is better than recent phones. And very happy to get my nexus phone fully functional

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21