Why is my app storage so inaccurate (by over 2 gb)? Why does an invisible app still take up storage?

A

AC Question

Hello,
I have a LG Optimus L90 running android 4.4.2 from T-mobile. After downloading one large app, I checked the storage and everything looked fine: 1 gb app, 2 gb left. Then when I tried downloading another large app (even larger), it says insufficient storage. Ok, I go back and delete a small app. Then I go to the google play and start downloading it. It gives me the progress bar, so I left the timeout of the phone to 15 minutes and went away to do something. I come back in around 20 minutes, see that the phone's screen is black, so I turn it on. Then a pop-up comes up saying I have insufficient storage! I go back to my settings and suddenly I only have around 300 mg of internal storage! It seems as if the app downloaded but never actually appeared! I calculated everything by adding up all the mg and gb that each app used in my app settings and it comes nowhere NEAR the 2.6 gb used that is says. What happened?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. A couple things to keep in mind: 1. The OS reserves a few hundred MB. 2. After apps get installed, they typically get a little bigger.

What apps are you trying to install?

Danandroidandroid

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
Yes, I do realize that the OS requires a few hundred MB, and that apps get bigger because of the few MB in their data. But I'm talking about around 2GB of "fake internal storage" I believe it has to do with the large game "Batman: The Dark Knight Rises " that I tried to install but left the screen to timeout while doing it (check my original post for more detail). I think that this game has downloaded, but somehow doesn't appear anywhere, as this problem occurred right after I tried installing the game.