How can I get my unlocked my Galaxy S5 to upgrade to Lollipop?

A

AC Question

Unlocked Galaxy s5 upgrade to Lollipop

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 that I'm using a prepaid T mobile simcard with.

I know that T Mobile rolled out its Galaxy S5 Lollipop update 1 or 2 days ago, but when I try to software update it says my phone is up to date. To also note, my phone is running on 4.4.2 which is the version that it came stock with. I think that prior to the Lollipop roll out, most Galaxy S5's were on 4.4.4 already.

Does this basically mean that I have no way of upgrading my Galaxy S5? It seems like I'll just be stuck on 4.4.2 forever.

If it helps my Model Number is: SM-G900H
and my baseband version is : G900HXXU1ANCI

Any help or insight would be significantly appreciated. Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere else, but I figured my case was kind of specific and quick searches didn't turn up with much.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unlocked Galaxy s5 upgrade to Lollipop

The carrier the phone was branded for has to update it and you have to have an active account with that carrier, with the phone on that account.

If you don't have a branded phone, Samsung updates it.

The main difference on 4.4.4 was a fix for the Heartbleed bug, so if you don't do anything secure on the phone (like buy something where you need to enter a credit card number), it won't make much difference. (Banks don't use OpenSSL on their sites, so the bug never affected them.)

LolliFlop? 5.0 is a total disaster. 5.0.1 was a wasted effort to fix the bugs in 5.0. 5.0.2 is a fairly usable bug fix of 5.0.1. We'll see what 5.1 turns out to be, but if Marketing is still driving Engineering at Google, it's going to be new features (and new bugs), not a bug fix. I'm on 4.4.2, and I can't see what all the fuss is about. Material Design? I don't even use apps that use it - I don't like it. And a white background uses more battery than a black one.

What did we gain? Supposedly better battery management, but a lot of people report terrible battery life even after clearing system cache. A lot of apps don't work on LolliFlop. I'm rooted, so even if my phone tried to update (which it won't because I froze the update app), it would fail. I don't want 5. Maybe when it actually works, but not now.

If you go to XDA Forums, put S5 in the phone search box, and pick your carrier, you might find that someone has captured a 5.0.2 update for your particular phone. the thread will have instructions on how to flash it. But remember, you probably can't go back (depends on the carrier). Make sure you want it before you do it. I've seen a lot of "how do I go back" and "I wish I hadn't" posts here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc