Why can't I get the Zedge notification ringtone to change on Droid Turbo?

Quack Me Up

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Can't get Zedge notification ringtone to change on Droid Turbo

I had a notification ringtone from Zedge loaded on my Turbo. I want to change to another Zedge ringtone. I found the ringtone I wanted, chose "set as-"notification ringtone" from the Zedge app but it won't recognize it so when I get a text I don't get any sound notification. I even uninstalled the old download from the previous ringtone. It shows the correct ringtone name when I check my Turbo's sound setting also.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't get Zedge notification ringtone to change on Droid Turbo

I don't use the Zedge app, but I have used some ringtones from the Zedge website--that might be a better workaround for you. Download the ringtone from the Zedge website onto your computer, then copy that file over to your phone's Notifications directory via USB (with Windows Explorer). Now either go to Settings>Sound>Notifications and choose that tone to be the system default, or open the messaging app, tap Menu, then Settings, and look for the notification options there, where you can set that tone to be specifically for the text messages.

Quack Me Up

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

I don't use the Zedge app, but I have used some ringtones from the Zedge website--that might be a better workaround for you. Download the ringtone from the Zedge website onto your computer, then copy that file over to your phone's Notifications directory via USB (with Windows Explorer). Now either go to Settings>Sound>Notifications and choose that tone to be the system default, or open the messaging app, tap Menu, then Settings, and look for the notification options there, where you can set that tone to be specifically for the text messages.

Can you be more specific on how to copy the file to my phone? I have the file downloaded in Firefox now but I'm unclear on how to get it to the proper place on the phone.
Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you download the file using your mobile Firefox browser, or Firefox on your computer? I was talking about downloading it using your computer browser. Then connect the phone to the computer via USB, open Windows Explorer, and find the downloaded file (wherever your default download directory is). Drag and drop it to the phone's Notifications directory.

Quack Me Up

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Did you download the file using your mobile Firefox browser, or Firefox on your computer? I was talking about downloading it using your computer browser. Then connect the phone to the computer via USB, open Windows Explorer, and find the downloaded file (wherever your default download directory is). Drag and drop it to the phone's Notifications directory.
Yes I downloaded it on my PC. I'll try it tonight. How do I drag and drop it into the notification directory? I know the phone shows up when its plugged into the PC but how do I specifically put it into the notification directory?
Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Using Windows Explorer, open the Droid Turbo device that should show up when you plug the device in with a USB cable. One of the folders you see should be Notifications. Drag and drop the sound file from your computer's download folder to that Notifications folder. If dragging and dropping is tricky for some reason, then just right-click the sound file, select Copy, then go to the Notifications folder, right click again, then select Paste.

Quack Me Up

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
No luck. I loaded the ringtone into the notification folder on my phone through the PC. Selected it to access the ringtone through the folder which is located in my ES file app and still no sound. Even did an update to the Zedge app and retried selecting it directly from the app but no go. Is there something else I could have inadvertently turned off? Very frustrating!
Thanks.

Circa 3000

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been using “Zedge” on my Galaxy 6 Edge since new and suddenly the ringtones were not able to be set anymore. I did the following and worked fine:

Just go to "My files" folder and then search and copy the mp3 ringtone file that you'd like to use as “Ringtone” (I used the one I downloaded from Zedge. You just need to tap and hold the music file then you can choose to copy or move the music file), after that paste it in folder MEDIA/AUDIO/NOTIFICATIONS (also using "My files").

After you paste it then go to SETTINGS/RINGTONES AND SOUNDS/RINGTONE and select MEDIA STORAGE and press JUST ONCE. Scroll down and press +ADD RINGTONE, select SOUND PICKER and press JUST ONCE. Now under the upper left menu, select FOLDERS, press NOTIFICATIONS and now you can choose the file that you've copied as your message ringtone. Press Done. The ringtone is now set as your default ringtone and will also appear in the Ringtones List.

6dakota6

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I had a notification ringtone from Zedge loaded on my Turbo. I want to change to another Zedge ringtone. I found the ringtone I wanted, chose "set as-"notification ringtone" from the Zedge app but it won't recognize it so when I get a text I don't get any sound notification. I even uninstalled the old download from the previous ringtone. It shows the correct ringtone name when I check my Turbo's sound setting also.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Okay so something happened when some stuff got updated not sure what was updated but everything needs permissions now you need to go into your phone's settings and then into app manager scroll down to Facebook Messenger which will probably be in just messenger and click on permissions and allow the storage permission I just selected all of them to allow everything that solve my problem and I was able to get rid of that stupid ding.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're probably referring to how Marshmallow changed app permissions. With Marshmallow, you can now be more granular with what kinds of permissions apps can have, so after the update, many apps will prompt you to grant certain permissions.