Can I root a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M on Android 4.4.2?

A

AC Question

Rooting Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M on Android 4.4.2

Hello android central i was wondering if it is possible to root the canadian galaxy s4 mini sgh-i257m on android 4.4.2 on towelroot wothout breaking it. also does this trip knox or void warranty, I want to root because my sd card priveliges were stolen by google 1 week ago and i accidentially clicked on the update button and got mad knowing this would happen. also im not looking to do a custom rom or anything and im not one of the retarded people who root and then dont install a root privlege management app and get there phone hooped by a viruse. any help thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Rooting Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M on Android 4.4.2

As of 4.3, an app can only write to a folder on the SD card that it has permission to write to - either that app or another app that app is a member of the same group as the app that created it have permission, unless you write to it as root.

If you want it back the old way, root it and run NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root).

As far as Towel Root, the trick it uses was patched on June 3, 2014 (during 4.4.2), so look at the kernel date (Settings/General/About device/Kernel). If it's earlier than that, Towel Root will work. If not, it'll just tell you that it can't, it won't do any damage. If Towel Root doesn't work, try iRoot - it may root slightly newer kernels. Again, if it can't, it'll just tell you that it can't.

BTW, Towel Root installs SuperSU by default. (iRoot also installs a superuser app, but since I used Towel Root, I don't know which superuser app iRoot installs. You don't have to root, then install a management app - it's already there.)