Why can't stream or watch downloaded movies from the google play store on my HTC M8?

A

AC Question

Since the lollipop update my HTC M8 can't play any movies I have purchased from Google play movies and tv. I can neither stream or watch the downloaded movies. 'Error 38' keeps appearing. I have tried more or less everything including a factory reset, clearing app cache, reinstalling the app etc. The movies did stream in safe mode but wouldn't play once I downloaded to my SD card!

Please help!

CrazeydAVE

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I ran into this with my m8 had movies on the device but was getting error -38.
Tried Deleting Local Movies & Clear Cache No Joy!

After Seeing a post on the Verizon Support I manged to fix it.

Steps To Fix:

Goto Settings -> Apps -> Goggle Play Movies & TV click Uninstall Updates

When this has completed the icon for Play Movies & TV will have changed to a generic android icon and an unfriendly name, and will not work, don't worry:)

Restart Your M8

The Icon returns and Streaming and Downloaded Movies now play...

Lastly: Don't forget to re-setup your storage location as this will have reset to default, which for some reason is always set to Internal Storage.

Shame It took over 3.5gb whilst traveling to get this fixed, my plan is for 5gb a month so not happy!

UPDATE Fix confirmed in the google play product forum :)

Last edited:

claudiags

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Unbelievable!! Thank you so much!! I contacted HTC and got no where. Once I tried what you suggested it worked! I can now watch my downloaded movies again!! Thank you for taking the time to share your findings!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca