How can I get my 8500 Mah Zerolemon battery calibrated with my Galaxy S5?

A

AC Question

8500 Mah Zerolemon battery for Galaxy S5 HELP

Just received my 8500 Mah Zerolemon for the Galaxy S5 yesterday and wasn't able to charge it at all before installing it. When I installed it, it showed that it had 50% battery life left. I ran it down over the next 2 days and then plugged it in for its first charge. The first charge only took about 2 hours to hit max and I took it off. It then lasted for about 2 days with moderate use. I know I was supposed to charge it for 12 hours for the first charge, but wasn't able to due to work. Anyways, my question is, is there anyway that I can now get it to calibrate with my phone and have the phone realize that it has this new 8500 Mah battery, since I didn't do the initial 12 hour charge? Or will I have to buy a new one and start all over again? Any help is much appreciated !

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 8500 Mah Zerolemon battery for Galaxy S5 HELP

Calibration is just a file that keeps track of which service uses what percentage of power, it has nothing to do with the phone "realizing" that it has a different battery. The State of Charge indicated by a phone is a guess based on the voltage at the battery''s terminals under load. (The only way to determine the actual SoC is chemically, and that requires destroying the battery in the process, so measuring the voltage, knowing the voltage/SoC curve of a lithium battery and guessing is the second best way.

Since you've already mistreated the battery (it doesn't care about work, using a battery that's been sitting on the shelf for a while [which is why it was at 50% charge] shortens its life, regardless of your needs), condition it.

Turn the phone off, charge the battery until the phone indicates that it's fully charged, then leave it on the charger for another hour. Unplug the charger, Use the battery without charging it until the phone tells you to charge it. Repeat the cycle twice more.

From then on, never let the charge fall below 40%.

(If you're going to explain how doing the above is impossible due to your needs, it's irrelevant. That's what the battery needs. If you don't condition it, you shorten the life considerably [meaning it's not going to last 5 years], If you discharge it all the way regularly you'll kill it in 6 months. That's how it works, and there's nothing abyone can do to change the laws of physics and chemistry.)

(I don't even let the store set my phone up with the battery I'll be taking home. If they turn the phone on before fully charging the battery, I want a 10 year written warranty on the battery, or a new battery. [I still use the original batteries in my oover-10-year-old V551.] My current Note 3 was set up using the charger - I had the battery in my pocket to make sure - took it out of the box myself. I'm 72 - when I die, the batteries [I always have 2 for a phone, not one large one] will probably still be fully usable - or the phone will be too old to be of any use. [The StarTAC is still the best phone ever made - but it can't be used in the US any more because it has no GPS. Mine is 19 years old and a few of the NiCad batteries still have some life in them. Even one of my MicroTACs - 26 years old - has enough battery to run for about 15 minutes.] People who complain that their battery only lasted a year killed it, it didn't just die.)

Ben Babyak

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Calibration is just a file that keeps track of which service uses what percentage of power, it has nothing to do with the phone "realizing" that it has a different battery. The State of Charge indicated by a phone is a guess based on the voltage at the battery''s terminals under load. (The only way to determine the actual SoC is chemically, and that requires destroying the battery in the process, so measuring the voltage, knowing the voltage/SoC curve of a lithium battery and guessing is the second best way.

Since you've already mistreated the battery (it doesn't care about work, using a battery that's been sitting on the shelf for a while [which is why it was at 50% charge] shortens its life, regardless of your needs), condition it.

Turn the phone off, charge the battery until the phone indicates that it's fully charged, then leave it on the charger for another hour. Unplug the charger, Use the battery without charging it until the phone tells you to charge it. Repeat the cycle twice more.

From then on, never let the charge fall below 40%.

(If you're going to explain how doing the above is impossible due to your needs, it's irrelevant. That's what the battery needs. If you don't condition it, you shorten the life considerably [meaning it's not going to last 5 years], If you discharge it all the way regularly you'll kill it in 6 months. That's how it works, and there's nothing abyone can do to change the laws of physics and chemistry.)

(I don't even let the store set my phone up with the battery I'll be taking home. If they turn the phone on before fully charging the battery, I want a 10 year written warranty on the battery, or a new battery. [I still use the original batteries in my oover-10-year-old V551.] My current Note 3 was set up using the charger - I had the battery in my pocket to make sure - took it out of the box myself. I'm 72 - when I die, the batteries [I always have 2 for a phone, not one large one] will probably still be fully usable - or the phone will be too old to be of any use. [The StarTAC is still the best phone ever made - but it can't be used in the US any more because it has no GPS. Mine is 19 years old and a few of the NiCad batteries still have some life in them. Even one of my MicroTACs - 26 years old - has enough battery to run for about 15 minutes.] People who complain that their battery only lasted a year killed it, it didn't just die.)

Great post. Startak! Heheh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463