There's random people locking me out of my Galaxy S3, how do I stop this?

A

AC Question

There's random people locking me out of my Galaxy S3

I don't know how this happened but I woke up in the middle of the night. Yes, I left my wifi on, and when I checked my S3, I saw a page saying that I have been illegally downloading inappropriate content. (I don't want to say the term) I thought this was strange so I tried clicking out of it and restarting my S3 but nothing worked. So I just kept reading the message and at the bottom of the page, it said I had a 24 hour time limit to send $300 of money or else I can be taken into court and be sent into jail for up to 10 years or pay a big fine. I have no idea what these people are talking about and I'm not going to send money to some people when I know for sure I haven't been looking up that stuff. And it's not even my credit card I'm using to pay, I have to use something called Moneypak and I could cash it in or something at CVS and those types of places. Please help me, I am really scared right now. I could go to prison for doing nothing! My time left is 12 hours. I've been spending all day at work so I couldn't use my time to find a way to get this off my phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: There's random people locking me out of my Galaxy S3

It's a scam. Your carrier or internet provider (depending on whether you're using mobile data or wifi) is required to stop you from pirating content, but they do it by a warning and, if you don't stop, by cancelling your account. They don't ask for money.

"I have to use something called Moneypak" so that 1) the payment can't be stopped and 2) they can't be traced.

Ignore it or call your internet provider, ask to speak to their security department and report it. Give them any information they ask you for, except a credit card (which they won't ask you for - there's no charge for your helping them to prevent their equipment being used for fraud).