Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
3.5 GB for Google Drive app on phone

Why does the Drive app use so much space on my Lollipop N5? All the pics, Play media, and anything else I can think of is 65% of my Drive space, and is not on the phone. Tia for some insight.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Are you saying that you have 3.5 GB of data stored in your Google Drive, or that Google Drive is taking up 3.5 GB of your phone's Internal Storage? Show us a screenshot of what you mean.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

... or that Google Drive is taking up 3.5 GB of your phone's Internal Storage? Show us a screenshot of what you mean.

Yes, Drive takes up 3.5 GB of phone's Internal Storage. Should I be deleting each phone app's "Data"?" "Cache"? I haven't been, because I wasn't sure. I do use CCleaner app. Thanks.

Settings, Storage, Apps, Drive:

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Attachments

• 126654.jpg
    126654.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 13

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Open the Drive app, swipe in from the left, and tap Settings. What happens if you clear the cached documents from that menu?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Check something in Drive. Open the lateral menu and tap "on device". That will show the files locally stored. Maybe you should try to sync / upload your files and keep as little as possible "on device".

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

Check something in Drive. Open the lateral menu and tap "on device". That will show the files locally stored. Maybe you should try to sync / upload your files and keep as little as possible "on device".

Drive's "On Device" is empty. I was trying to free up space on the phone, and I can't figure out t he above Drive volume.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Drive's "On Device" is empty. I was trying to free up space on the phone, and I can't figure out t he above Drive volume.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

That's weird.

I tried looking for the Drive folder with ES and found nothing. It can be a bit radical but maybe you'll need to clear data or even uninstall drive to get that space back.

If you decide to do that make sure you have ES or a similar app to check that no file is left after uninstall.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

That's weird.

I tried looking for the Drive folder with ES and found nothing. It can be a bit radical but maybe you'll need to clear data or even uninstall drive to get that space back.

If you decide to do that make sure you have ES or a similar app to check that no file is left after uninstall.

So if I uninstall Drive app on phone, my files are safe (since I also use it on the laptop)? Where do I check for residual Drive app files to delete in ES, before reinstalling Drive app? Just anything that's named Drive?

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

All your files should be stored in the cloud, so no worries there. You'll need to log in again and set you preferences.

When you uninstall an app ES automatically checks that no residual file is left behind. If that happens a little menu will pop up right after the uninstall finishes for you to confirm delete.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

If it helps, here are my ES "Local" files (4 screenshots)...

From Nexus 5 via AC App

Attachments

• 127854.jpg
    127854.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 127855.jpg
    127855.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 127856.jpg
    127856.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 127858.jpg
    127858.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 17

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

What about multiple Google accts?

I checked each in Google Settings app for associated apps - no Drive app listed. How do I find my additional Drive accts? I would only have files for them on the device by accident, but it might be possible.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

On Drive app, Settings shows option to clear cache (which I had done), and that cache size is set to 100 MB. No catch reading there.

From Nexus 5 via AC App