11-21-2015 07:41 PM
29 12
tools
    Why does the Drive app use so much space on my Lollipop N5? All the pics, Play media, and anything else I can think of is 65% of my Drive space, and is not on the phone. Tia for some insight.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    02-28-2015 08:47 PM
    Thanks Javier. These instructions don't sound so radical to me. I'll try this later tonight if nothing else comes to light here.

Will report back with results.

Thanks all.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Hey! Found this. Take a look. That's exactly what you need.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...4-storage.html
    Are you saying that you have 3.5 GB of data stored in your Google Drive, or that Google Drive is taking up 3.5 GB of your phone's Internal Storage? Show us a screenshot of what you mean.
    03-01-2015 01:55 AM
    ... or that Google Drive is taking up 3.5 GB of your phone's Internal Storage? Show us a screenshot of what you mean.
    Yes, Drive takes up 3.5 GB of phone's Internal Storage. Should I be deleting each phone app's "Data"?" "Cache"? I haven't been, because I wasn't sure. I do use CCleaner app. Thanks.

Settings, Storage, Apps, Drive:

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Attached Thumbnails Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-126654.jpg  
    03-01-2015 10:22 AM
    Open the Drive app, swipe in from the left, and tap Settings. What happens if you clear the cached documents from that menu?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    03-01-2015 12:44 PM
    Open the Drive app, swipe in from the left, and tap Settings. What happens if you clear the cached documents from that menu?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Attached Thumbnails Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-126655.jpg  
    03-01-2015 02:47 PM
    Hmm, it only clears 80 MB? How much stuff do you have in Drive?
    03-01-2015 03:00 PM
    Check something in Drive. Open the lateral menu and tap "on device". That will show the files locally stored. Maybe you should try to sync / upload your files and keep as little as possible "on device".
    03-01-2015 03:13 PM
    ... How much stuff do you have in Drive?
    9.7 GB in Drive.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 03:28 PM
    Check something in Drive. Open the lateral menu and tap "on device". That will show the files locally stored. Maybe you should try to sync / upload your files and keep as little as possible "on device".
    Drive's "On Device" is empty. I was trying to free up space on the phone, and I can't figure out t he above Drive volume.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 03:34 PM
    Do you have a lot of photos or videos stored in Drive?
    03-01-2015 03:45 PM
    Drive's "On Device" is empty. I was trying to free up space on the phone, and I can't figure out t he above Drive volume.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    That's weird.

I tried looking for the Drive folder with ES and found nothing. It can be a bit radical but maybe you'll need to clear data or even uninstall drive to get that space back.

If you decide to do that make sure you have ES or a similar app to check that no file is left after uninstall.
    03-01-2015 03:56 PM
    Do you have a lot of photos or videos stored in Drive?
    I emptied the phone of downloaded pics, videos, newsstand, books, music downloads/cache. I have ES File Explorer - anything there I should "explore"? I appreciate your help. I only have a16 GB phone.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:00 PM
    That's weird.

I tried looking for the Drive folder with ES and found nothing. It can be a bit radical but maybe you'll need to clear data or even uninstall drive to get that space back.

If you decide to do that make sure you have ES or a similar app to check that no file is left after uninstall.
    So if I uninstall Drive app on phone, my files are safe (since I also use it on the laptop)? Where do I check for residual Drive app files to delete in ES, before reinstalling Drive app? Just anything that's named Drive?

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:10 PM
    All your files should be stored in the cloud, so no worries there. You'll need to log in again and set you preferences.

When you uninstall an app ES automatically checks that no residual file is left behind. If that happens a little menu will pop up right after the uninstall finishes for you to confirm delete.
    03-01-2015 04:17 PM
    Before uninstalling drive wait a little bit, just in case B. Diddy has an idea of how to fix this space problem without going so radical
    akuki likes this.
    03-01-2015 04:19 PM
    If it helps, here are my ES "Local" files (4 screenshots)...

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Attached Thumbnails Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-127854.jpg   Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-127855.jpg   Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-127856.jpg   Why is 3.5 GB needed for the Google Drive app on my phone?-127858.jpg  
    03-01-2015 04:26 PM
    In drive, go to Settings and check the cache size. It may be caching 3.42GB of files.
    03-01-2015 04:47 PM
    What about multiple Google accts?

I checked each in Google Settings app for associated apps - no Drive app listed. How do I find my additional Drive accts? I would only have files for them on the device by accident, but it might be possible.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:47 PM
    In drive, go to Settings and check the cache size. It may be caching 3.42GB of files.
    See my first screen shot: Drive app cache is 1.75 MB. The Data is the culprit.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:50 PM
    On Drive app, Settings shows option to clear cache (which I had done), and that cache size is set to 100 MB. No catch reading there.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:54 PM

I checked each in Google Settings app for associated apps - no Drive app listed. How do I find my additional Drive accts? I would only have files for them on the device by accident, but it might be possible.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Yeah, I checked each Google acct from Drive app - each "on device" is listed as empty.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    03-01-2015 04:58 PM

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Good thought. To switch between accounts in Google drive you should have all of them added in your phone. They appear on the top of the side menu (in drive). Something there?
    03-01-2015 05:02 PM
    All your files should be stored in the cloud, so no worries there. You'll need to log in again and set you preferences.

When you uninstall an app ES automatically checks that no residual file is left behind. If that happens a little menu will pop up right after the uninstall finishes for you to confirm delete.
    Thanks Javier. These instructions don't sound so radical to me. I'll try this later tonight if nothing else comes to light here.

Thanks all.

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    Javier P likes this.
    03-01-2015 05:08 PM

Thanks all.

From Nexus 5 via AC App

B. Diddy likes this.
    03-01-2015 06:03 PM

That did it! Thank you. Now up to almost 5 GB of space.

If I understand correctly, unchecking the Sync box in Accounts -> Drive kept me from deleting the data from the cloud Drive account, during the Data delete in the phone's Drive app.

But, Cache can always be be deleted with no loss to original files?

From Nexus 5 via AC App
    B. Diddy and Javier P like this.
    03-01-2015 08:39 PM
29 12