How do I setup a Verizon wireless to use a different network in Ghana?

A

AC Question

how do i setup a verizon wireless to use a different network in Ghana?

i am in Ghana and i am using an htc verizon wireless 4g LTE but whenever i insert any sim card it tells me "This sim card is from an unknown source"....But the contacts on the sim card displays but the sim card can not be activated on the phone....i tried using a titanium backup but it can't root the phones system

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i setup a verizon wireless to use a different network in Ghana?

You have to get the phone unlocked. Since it's no longer on an active Verizon account, you'll have to buy the unlock code - look on eBay for people selling unlock codes. (There's a different code for eaxh handset.)

Make sure that the phone is capable of GSM - there's only 1 CDMA carrier (Verizon is CDMA) in Ghana - Expresso Telecom. If you're using it on a GSM carrier, and it's capable of GSM data, make sure it has a 2100MHz radio. (Look up the model number on Google - cdma htc 806 specs, or whatever the model number is.) If it doesn't, it won't get anything but slow speed data.

Sumaila kiphul

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
When I insert another sim card it appears searching for service and don't know how to unlock the verizon mobile I need instead help please I am in Ghana now the is here but can't be used

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have, and what's its exact model number? Not all phones may support the network bands that are used on Ghana, so even if you did carrier-unlock the phone, there's no guarantee it'll work there.

Joseph Elijah Hellu

Dec 2, 2022
Visit site
i am in Ghana and i am using an htc verizon wireless 4g LTE but whenever i insert any sim card it tells me "This sim card is from an unknown source"....But the contacts on the sim card displays but the sim card can not be activated on the phone....i tried using a titanium backup but it can't root the phones system

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Was this device that's from the US sim unlock?
Besides it displaying that unknown can u make calls?

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Which HTC phone specifically? Verizon had several with 4G-LTE. While they had LTE capability, they were usually still locked. Also, the primary cellular type was still CDMA. The LTE was only for data on those phones. I don't think any carriers in Ghana even do CDMA (very few carriers outside the US ever did), and Verizon CDMA was only for use on the Verizon network.

So, I don't think that thing will work on any network starting next year. Even Verizon is finishing shutting down their CDMA networks by the end of this month.

And rooting wouldn't change any of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Are you certain this phone was carrier-unlocked to begin with? Which carrier in Ghana are you using? Did the phone ever work on that carrier?

Tony Click

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I am in Ghana and when I insert my sim into my Samsung Galaxy A01, I get a notification that my sim is not from Verizon wireless and this makes it difficult to use voLTE on my phone.i can only use Edge network, what should I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The phone sounds like it's carrier-locked to Verizon. You'd have to either contact Verizon to unlock it (if it meets their unlock criteria, and of course you're in Ghana, so this would be unlikely anyway), or look into some 3rd party unlock code (that you'd have to pay for, and is not guaranteed to work).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca