Can I connect my Note 3, with a cracked screen, to Kies?

A

AC Question

can i connect note 3 with cracked screen to kies

ok just broke my note 3, trying to connect to kies to back up everything and save it for when i finish my insurance claim. but when i connect it says please change connection mode to media device (mtp) before connecting. well my screen is cracked and i cant change it to media mode. is there any way around this? i do not have a screen lock on my phone btw

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: can i connect note 3 with cracked screen to kies

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

That's unfortunate that it's in PTP mode instead of MTP (Photo transfer protocol / Media transfer protocol).
Do you think the digitzer is working so you can pull down the Notification shade, or it's gone black?

Have you tried without Kies to see it as a device in Windows. I think with PTP mode you can still copy photos from the DCIM folder, but I am not sure, you may need MTP.
Kies won't save everything, Scrapbook for example, but you hopefully would get some back from your Samsung account if you replace it.

If you think you can feel to pull down the shade, this is where you need to press blindly to change to MTP!

3d19a2ce201c5c5ac4a9e582312664cc.jpg
228bc55222e5bb7d63b06bd7b5d98e68.jpg

Samsung sync options :
c643182b147b88e346acef10166b03f7.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Or, if USB debugging is enabled, you can use adb to copy any file from the phone to the computer.

(In the future, just make sure that everything you don't want to lose is backed up as soon after you put it on the phone as you can. Anything on your SD card would be no problem now - just put the card into the new phone.

KRAZYFIL

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
well tthe photos and such im not too concerned with persay, but apparemtly my google sync hasnt backed up my contacts in almost a year. so the main reason for needing to connect is to back up all my contacts to kies then restore them to the new phone when it comes in.

and the screen is completely black. only thing that lights up are the touch buttons. ive tried battery pull and just swyiping down to access the drop down but no luck

planb234

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site

Your net conne connections are off. The MTP could be a driver issue. Kies is a Windows program and is just as unstable. You may be able to force a driver change. It looks like you screen is still finctional. Can you use it well enough to get on to settings? If kies drivers, your net, your screen, and adb fail there is an app on Samsung, so I'm site they're is 5 more that are better in play called sideload that you can run your device on windows. At worse you get your phone insured at best the replace the digitizer. If you haven't synced on a year you lose your contacts and have to remember some passwords. You'll be suprised how much you'll get back from Google. Loading an app is like herpes and i it doesn't matter how many times ive google i don't want my pics backed up out still gets them. Unless you have closed your Google accounts it has a big part of your stuff. It doesn't take no for an answer. I finally gave up and just let Google install my apps when i flash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463