How does wireless charging affect my overall battery life for HTC M8?

A

AC Question

I have an HTC M8 and I'm using a Qi receiver flim to wireless charge. I heard on other android forums that wireless charging can negatively affect battery life because of the heat strain. Will this affect my phone? I'm just not sure because the HTC can't wireless charge on its own and only the Qi receiver should be getting the heat strain which I am ok with.

My other concern is that when I am wirelessly charging I get a slow charge notification (because of the wireless charging). Will this affect my battery life?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC M8 and I'm using a Qi receiver flim to wireless charge. I heard on other android forums that wireless charging can negatively affect battery life because of the heat strain. Will this affect my phone? I'm just not sure because the HTC can't wireless charge on its own and only the Qi receiver should be getting the heat strain which I am ok with.
Unless the battery is getting really hot (above 45C, 113F), the higher the temperature, the lower the internal resistance of the battery, so the faster it will charge - and have no effect on longevity.

My other concern is that when I am wirelessly charging I get a slow charge notification (because of the wireless charging). Will this affect my battery life?
That depends on the phone, but Qi typically charges at 600mA, higher than USB 2.0 does, so you shouldn't get any notification, unless you do when you charge from a computer. Will a notification that lasts for 3 seconds affect battery life? Not as much as having it in your shirt pocket when you open the freezer door once. (That will probably shorten its life by a few nanoseconds.) Will charging at 600mA shorten its life? Not in the slightest. Just make sure you never let it drop below 40% charge. That WILL shorten the battery's life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21