Why do my Merge Tabs & Apps switch on, still treating as Separate Apps?

A

AC Question

Merge Tabs & Apps Switch On, Still Treating as Separate Apps

I am new to Android (made the switch from iPhone in December), and I just got the 5.0 Lollipop update last night. When I went in to recent apps this morning, each chrome tab was in there, which I HATE. I googled how to fix it and saw that you could flip the merge tabs & apps switch to on. When I tried, it was already switched to on. I switched it to off, and it is still an issue. Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Merge Tabs & Apps Switch On, Still Treating as Separate Apps

Welcome to Android Central! First, can you just clarify that the multiple tabs you're seeing are in fact Chrome tabs, or are they Google Search tabs? Is the icon associated with the tab a Chrome icon or a blue G icon?

If the "Merge Tabs & Apps" switch is ON, then each individual Chrome tab gets displayed as a separate "app" in the Recent Apps list. The Chrome browser appearance also changes slightly--the Chrome tab manager button disappears (the square button that shows the number of open tabs, at the top of the Chrome browser bar). If the switch is OFF, then Chrome is only shown as one app in the Recent Apps list.

But Google Search tabs will show multiple times, depending on how many searches you have done. As far as I know, there is no way to merge those tabs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois