Moto X 2013 year model phone fell in clean water. Is the battery bad or is the USB port shorted out?

A

AC Question

Moto X 2013 year model fell in clean water for less than 2 seconds. Dried out eventually. Seems to be fully functional now, except that the battery won't take a charge. Plugged in, battery level stays at 3%.

After being quickly retrieved from water and shaken to remove excess water, phone was returned to service (web shopping on wi-fi connection). When battery level dropped within an hour post-immersion and was plugged in to charger, it was noticed that connection to phone service was down. Within a couple of hours post-immersion, the phone shut down and would not reboot.

Then I removed the SIM card and took the back off and found a little moisture inside. Placed phone with SIM card out and back off in baggie with "10 minute rice" in perforated bag (only rice I had) for about 6 hours. Put it back together, plugged it in, let it charge for a few minutes and turned it on. Though it requires a little patience to get the phone to boot up, it will stay on and seems to be fully functional except that the battery will not charge above 3%. Battery Saver function is good.

Should I assume that the battery is bad, was shorted-out with the delay in fully drying out the phone or might there be an issue with the USB charging port? I should also add that the USB cord for the charger seems to have gone bad. I had to change cords to get the phone off of "Battery Saver" operation with it plugged in.

I would appreciate any insights the forum community can offer.

vjh425

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As the above poster has said, it doesn't sound good. You should have immediately turned the phone off, removed the battery, and let it dry out. You probably did a lot of damage by continuing to use and then charge it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800