What's the easiest way to connect my storage at home when I am outside?

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just want to be able to access my pictures and mp3 files, I have fast enough upload speed at home and 4G LTE on my phone when I am outside. How can I easily access the files I have in my hard drive at home/at work safely?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You want to access media files remotely from your home computer? If so you might want to look into "cloud" access HDD that will have the appropriate app for Android. I currently have (2) Western Digital NAS's. I got a MyCloud Mirror Dual 4TB last fall and about two weeks ago I upgraded to a new Western Digital EX4 4 Bay with 4TB per bay running RAID5. I can now access about 12TB of media on the go.

The alternate solution is to buy storage space on DropBox, Google Drive and access the files there but over the long term it will be costly compared to a NAS. Here is a link to Amazon Amazon.com: mycloud mirror

2 Bay Dual 2TB ~ $275
2 Bay Dual 3TB ~ $316
2 Bay Dual 4TB ~ $360

So you can get a lot of content remotely.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or just run an FTP server on a computer at home, open the appropriate port (you can actually set the server to use any port) in the router, and anyone who knows the login and password can connect to your external IP address at that port and download files.

Or you can just keep them on the cloud and have an app for that cloud on the phone. I have a few files I want accessible to all my devices - dekstop, laptop, phone. So they're on Google Drive, in a private folder, and I have Drive installed on all the devices. On the phone, I have those files set to keep locally (so I can get to them even without an internet connection) but if they change - on the cloud or on the phone - they get synced as soon as I have a connection. The same on the laptop or the desktop, but you don't have to set a file to be accessible locally. Dropbox does about the same thing. (Free cloud storage keeps getting larger - Drive and Dropbox give you 15GB free at the moment.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance