My phone makes a shutter sound effect whenever I take a screenshot, even if the volume is off. I set the shutter sound to off in camera mode, but it doesn't affect the screenshot sound.
    How can I shut this sound off. I never, ever, want to hear it again.
    03-27-2015 02:39 PM
    Try Settings, Apps, All, scroll to Camera, select Clear Cache. Then make the setting to 'No shutter sound', and reboot the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-27-2015 03:13 PM
    In your rooted phone, with es file manager's root enabled, and system rw toggled on:

go to /system/media/audio/ui and find the cameraclick.ogg

Rename the file 0cameraclick.
    This is true in HTC One M7
    Works right away.

11-03-2016 09:44 PM
    I was wrong...i turned back on my phone the next day and the sound was back. I can not get the sound off...and the crazy thing is until I did a data reset from settings app a week or two ago, there was never any sound....

Now I cant delete it, cant replace it with a silent .ogg, cant rename it...and there is no setting as the earlier poster mentioned inside camera app....

Conclusion: its s-on, it is evil
    11-04-2016 04:11 AM
    ....And today the sound is gone...on startup...double checked by restarting. So it appears that at some point the replacement .ogg file I got using "The File Converter" app worked. My current /system/media/audio/ui shows that I have camera_click.ogg installed, but it is a split second of silence when played via media player.

So this works.

Replace your HTC original camera_click.ogg with a camera_click.ogg that is a silent snip of audio (mp3 or other type, converted to .ogg using "The File Converter" app on your android phone)

Additional method, which can work in non rooted phones, would be to install the .ogg file from twrp.

Forgot to modify permissions, but that s-on HTC rewrote the proper permissions to my replacement .ogg file..as you can see they are corrected now:

11-05-2016 06:08 AM
    Interesting (for me) on closer investigation to note, that the date of the camera_click.ogg file's modification in that ui folder, which I screenshotted (silently!) this morning, is in 2013, and the file size has been written as the original .ogg's file size. I kept a copy of my converted to .ogg mp3, in my sdcard, and it shows a different file size, and yesterday as the date of creation....so I guess that the kernel thinks a small white lie about the filesize is allright:

11-05-2016 04:38 PM
    ....and the minute I posted that, the screenshot sound came back on. Somebodys messing with me.

Today before startup of phone I installed the silent clip using twrp. The phone so far after 1st bootup was silent for screenshots. I turned off and on an extra time, and now it is still silent.

Peraps the TWRP install did the trick. Wait and see what they do to my phone from the corrupt sinister (left handed) network next.
    11-06-2016 03:59 AM